Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G sim plan vs. Huawei H112-372

MagicMan90
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Dear Vodafone / Community,

I would really appreciate some knowledgeable opinion / answer on the technical side, as I already had unpleasant discussion with one of your operatives, quite rude and not helpful at all.

I have started 5G Sim Plan, Unlimited, not so long ago. It was for the intention of putting said SIM into Huawei H112-372 - 5G router model. No lying in here, I wanted to use it as a mobile broadband for home with good speeds on it (have checked the area coverage and both indoors and outdoors are strong).

This seems to be working only after restart of the device, speed are picking up, only to slow down after a few hours / a day to lower than minimal available broadband I think. This is getting bit frustrating and I was hoping for some explanation as to why is it happening?

Yes, I know that I have input SIM card to "non attested" Vodafone router (exact same model given away by you guys), but that's cause you are charging horrendous rates for 5G Broadband and yes I know it is generally frowned upon, but there is nothing that would say mobile internet will perform poorly if SIM is slotted into anything else but Vodafone device. Would it be the same case if I have slotted it into 5G mobile phone?

If someone can please explain this and whether I can have proper speeds, if not, I will just terminate contract early as this is not entirely true what Unlimited (as fast speeds as possible) 5G SIM only plan offered.

I wanted to check on APNs, however looking at router settings it is finding Vodafone APN lists anyway so not sure if that's the case.

Once again, I would appreciate some technical insight, whatever it might be - if there's no way of configuring exact same device to work properly with a SIM card, I might get a 5G phone to set it up, either way I will need to make sure the speeds are keeping up to what they should (signal at least suggest they should).

Thank you kindly.

15 REPLIES 15

Hi,

I got on to chat and was bounced around a few times as I wasn't a Home Broadband customer until I got to, what I think was, a technician. Not using the SIM in a handset seemed to be a source of confusion. The technician asked me to put the SIM card into a handset, set it to 2G and then they did some magic on their end.
One of them said that Vodafone didn't kick me off 5G but that there were 'network fluctuations'. I'm not sure what that meant. I don't think I needed a change my contract to a Data-only SIM, I'm not sure. One seemed to suggest it was necessary, but the final person I talked to said it wasn't done.

Now my Huawei CPE Pro is connected to 5G again. https://www.speedtest.net/result/11220676494
(Note that I'm in an area that Vodafone's Network Status tool considers to have 'low coverage')

Thanks,

That is great they were able to sort you out. I might try them again, so far I acquired a handset and 5G seems to be working properly so there's a hope they can adjust it just like yours - can you do me a favor please? Can you please advise in a day or a couple days if it's still going ok? I had mine router going ok for a up to 2 days and then the speeds went back to terrible but this gives me hope now that I have a handset as well.

Much appreciated.

Sure will do.

You can see if you are getting a 5G connection by restarting your router and logging in to it.
Then go to Advanced -> System -> Device Information (for the H112-370). This lists your available connections.

For example, I have something like:

RSRQ -9.0dB
RSRP -85dBm
RSSI <=-113dBm
SINR 1dB
5G RSRQ -10.0dB
5G RSRP -92dBm
5G SINR 14dB

If you don't have the ones beginning with "5G" then you have no 5G connection (even though the 5G LED is lit on the router!). If you do have them then maybe you have poor reception if you're getting bad speeds.
Try doing speed tests by directly connection to the router with a LAN cable as this will rule out any issues arising from WiFi interference.

Hey iddn, how is your router working, is it still keeping the 5g connectivity/speeds?

I have tried the chat today from the mobile but was only told there is maintenance going on in my area until tomorrow and that it should fix it but unfortunately I know it's bs and will have to check back again on Saturday after the works have been completed.

Thanks for letting me know on your situation.

Hi mate,

Yes, all still good for me:
https://www.speedtest.net/result/11235804629

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty connecting to our network @MagicMan90. You can check the coverage in your local area using our Network Status Checker. If there is an issue in your area, you can register for updates on this there too.