cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

A new data only SIM - that should be easy...

geoffd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I wanted a data-only SIM back in June to use in my TP-LINK Mobile Wifi device while visiting a friend in the Scottish highlands. I popped into my local Vodafone shop and they said they could offer me a PAYG SIM with 1GB of data for 90 days for just £10. Where my friend lives there isn't 3G or barely a signal so I would be lucky to use a few MB in the week I was there so ideal.

When I got home I checked that it worked OK and could also see the SIM on my existing Vodafone account page with usage info showing 1GB available. I didn't try it again until on holiday when all I could get, after much waiting, was a page titled 'Topping up your mobile broadband'. When I returned from holiday I checked my account page which showed an error saying 'Sorry, there seems to be a problem. These are the only details of this balance we can show you at the moment' and a balance of £0.00 and no usage data.

In July I went back to the shop to complain that it didn't work and spoke to the manager who offered to investigate. He said that in the history he could see the 1GB being registered and negligeable usage but that the data bundle expired that night. He said that he couldn't give me a refund but as a good will gesture he would add 2GB for 90 days. Rather than try that same day I waited a few days and tried again. Same outcome - I could only get the 'Topping up' page and my account showed the same error.

Returned to the shop where a different assistant chatted online to support who said the problem was resolved and that I should try again in 1 or 2 hours. I asked if this was just a ruse to get me out of the shop but he said not!!
When I did try again - exactly the same.

Next, telephone support! A very pleasant young lady said she had sorted the problem out and I now had 2GB for 90 days. She even offered to stay on the line while I tried it and it worked. I also looked at my account and although it did not show any usage, the error message had gone so I was quite hopeful. But when I tried today it has failed to work again and the error message on the bundle usage page is back. Attached is a screen shot.

Hopefully someone has seen or experienced something similar so that I am better informed when I next try telephone support. OK, it is only £10 but I would like to get it resolved for when I next visit.

3 REPLIES 3

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

That does seem to be a bit of a strange one @geoffd :smileyindifferent:

So we're able to look into this further for you, please contact us via the information in the private message I've sent. 

Thanks to the forum team I finally have a working data SIM! There were a couple of attempts to add a data bundle in different ways but with the same outcome - that the data worked on the day it was added but disappeared the next. In the end they disconnected and reconnected the number and that seemed to fix the issue. I guess that is the vodafone equivalent of 'switch it off then on again'.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@geoffd – Apologies for the late reply.

I’m pleased to hear this is all sorted now. :Smiling: