Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Best 4g broadband option using external dish

Daveyboy5
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,was going to go for the gigacube option but with the walls being so thick just wondering if there’s a dish alternative or add on?  

Many thanks Dave

12 REPLIES 12

alwaysreading
4: Newbie

hi Dave , I'm sorry I'm not 100% sure I understand the question correctly 

gipjon
16: Advanced member

the cube works on the mobile phone network 

so the first thing is to make sure you have a very good mobile phone coverage (poor coverage result in poor speed )

you can buy a wifi extender to extend the range of wifi from places like Argos 

Thanks, the 4g is good outside but not inside as the walls are so thick, can I use a dish outside instead or as an add on?

gipjon

the cube 

External antenna port:2 x Ext. antenna ports (TS-9)

google antenna ports ts-9 , about £13 on amazon for the ariel

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/gigacube/

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Daveyboy5 

You may be thinking along the lines of a mobile phone repeater to improve the signal/reception at the location.  There is further information here: Ofcom - Mobile Phone Repeaters 

As the Gigcube works of the mobile phone network, there is no reason why you would be unable to use a repeater with the device but you will be looking at spending at least £400.00 for something decent.

It would also be worth checking the speed you can expect to receive at the location from the coverage checker at the top of the page but with your thick walls getting a decent 4G signal indoors will be difficult.

Not sure of the reason wanting to go with an expensive Gigacube where you would be able to get fixed broadband at half the cost.

Thank you,the only fixed provider at the property is bt ,

external 4g signal is good hence wanting to look at the dish options as an alternative or add on to gigacube

WelshPaul

It's not a "dish", it's an external antenna.

Just Google "4g router with external antenna".

BandOfBrothers

Hello again @Daveyboy5 

On inputting your information into the link about Vodafone Home Broadband Pro is this not available where you live ?

I appreciate your wanting to explore all avenues, and I wish you all the best with this and suggest you go with the best isp for your area that tailor's to your needs.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

you could try the cube and if you have a issue with signal you then could buy the ts-9 ariel from amazon or ebay with the cube having 2 x Ext. antenna ports (TS-9) which you could put in the window or outside and if you have an issue with wifi, buy and try a wifi extender from Argos and same again you could return if it does not work out  

I would guess the Vodafone contract will have a cooling-off period so you could cancel and return the router