Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband Connects, Sms Received But No Internet

gmparker
Not applicable
Hi,

I have just bought a K3565 USB modem stick on a PAYG tariff.
I get a connection (not 3G) and everything looks ok, It connects, lights light, I can receive SMS but I can't access the internet. I have an IP address and DNS servers assigned but cant connect to sites using a browser. Also I cannot ping sites on the internet by name or IP address. Any thoughts?
22 REPLIES 22

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Can you post the output of ipconfig, please.
Neil

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi,

I have just bought a K3565 USB modem stick on a PAYG tariff.
I get a connection (not 3G) and everything looks ok, It connects, lights light, I can receive SMS but I can't access the internet. I have an IP address and DNS servers assigned but cant connect to sites using a browser. Also I cannot ping sites on the internet by name or IP address. Any thoughts?

Hi guyp,

It sounds like there might be a local site issue at work here. Can you post back with your full postcode so we can take a look for you? :)

Jon

eForum Team

gmparker
Not applicable
Hi guyp,

It sounds like there might be a local site issue at work here. Can you post back with your full postcode so we can take a look for you? :)

Jon

eForum Team

Hi Jon,

Postcode is CA11 0JF

Thanks

Guy

gmparker
Not applicable
Can you post the output of ipconfig, please.

Hi Neil

Here is the output:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL1310
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-70-B2-24-E4

PPP adapter Vodafone Mobile Connect:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.91.63.181
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.91.63.181
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.206.65.68
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Regards

Guy

Retired-Nicola_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Good Morning guyp.

Let me start by "Welcoming you to the eForum :D "

Having checked the your area on our Coverage Map i can see there is no 3G coverage in the area which will cause the problem with connecting to the device

So unless you will be using the modem stick in another area then you will struggle to use this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bads new :(

Though if you have anymore questions please just shout :)

Nicola
eForum Team

gmparker
Not applicable
So are you saying there is no internet access if you are not in an area of 3G coverage?
I know it will be slower if I am not using 3G but I should have some sort of connection.

I get a good GPRS signal, and connect at 56kbps, so I should be able to have a connection to the internet of some sort.

What I am saying is that there is no connection whatsoever - which I am sure is wrong.

I will be using this when I am travelling, so I want to be sure it is working.

Regards

Guy

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
So are you saying there is no internet access if you are not in an area of 3G coverage?
I know it will be slower if I am not using 3G but I should have some sort of connection.

I get a good GPRS signal, and connect at 56kbps, so I should be able to have a connection to the internet of some sort.

What I am saying is that there is no connection whatsoever - which I am sure is wrong.

I will be using this when I am travelling, so I want to be sure it is working.

Regards

Guy

Hi Guy,

You're quite right, you should be getting GPRS connectivity.

I've checked the nearest site to you, and it appears to be operating normally.

Do you have a Vodafone handset you could try your mobile broadband SIM card in? It will be interesting to see if you're able to browse the web on your phone, which would rule out a network issue and point the blame towards your modem instead.

Also, are you able to test the modem in another area? This would help us to determine if the problem is related to your local network.

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this :)

Jon

eForum Team

gmparker
Not applicable
Hi Jon,

Unfortunately my phone is an old simple one - its got WAP - will that check it out sufficiently?
pardon my ignorance!

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey there Guyp,

WAP will do just fine! :)

What we're looking for is for the phone to connect and make use of the data services. If it successfully does this, that means that there will be something on your PC preventing the connection, and the local site(s) will indeed be working fine.

Can you additionally see if you can get a connection when your Vodafone Mobile Connect is set to 2G only? Lastly I'd also check firewalls, virus checkers for anything that could be blocking your connection.

If you havn't got the latest VMC, I'd recommend it over the VMC Lite as it provides improved compatibility solutions.

Let me know how you get on!

Daz

eForum Team