Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Buying Extra Data needs a serious overhaul

weeneillyvod
4: Newbie

Vodafone has managed to excel in making the way to buy a one-off extra data package as annoying as possible for the customer.  If this system does not change, I'll be moving to Tesco Mobile at the end of my contract. Let me explain.

Whilst on a family hoiday in a Roam Free country we had very poor WiFi.

After a week, I offered a hotspot to my three teenage kids.

I had only 1.1Gb left of my monthly allowance, so I added 15Gb at a cost of £20

I was told to opt-out before the end of my billing cycle.

I had 2.5Gb left on my last day and opted out, using the Vodafone App whilst on data.

When I opted out, the Vodafone App showed I had 0 Gb data left (i.e. I lost the 1.1Gb I had before opting-in), even though I had 2.5Gb left when I opted-out.

My bill arrived showing that I had used 34Mb (0.034Gb) after opting out (presumably partly from using the Vodafone App).

I was charged £6.5 for the extra 34Mb data.

I spent 20 minutes on the phone to customer services, who refunded the £6.5.

So, I lost the 1.1Gb of my montly allowance which I had not used.

I didn't use all of the 15Gb of extra data which I had purchased.  

I was charged for a miniscule amount of data which I used whilst opting out.

Tesco Mobile allows customers to purchase one-off bundles of extra data. Very sensible and NOT annoying to the customer.

I noticed that Fiona789 raised this issue in March 2016 on the community and nothing has changed. I expect I'll be leaving Vodafone next April.

3 REPLIES 3

weeneillyvod

My direct debit left my account and the £6.5 refund had not been deducted, as promised.  I called customer services again, who assured me that the credit was on my account and that it will show on my next bill. I will wait and see.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@weeneillyvod Thanks for keeping us updated.
Please let us know how you get on.

Twonko

I am not surprised at this.  I understand that the Vodafone CEO and that [Removed]  from Ryanair have monthly meetings to devise new and previously unheard of ways to p155 off their customers.  Both have been very successful at it for many years.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove  inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]