Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't Send/receive Email Or Access Some Sites

synuge
Not applicable
Hi,

I've happily been using my USB broadband dongle for about 6 weeks with no issues whatsoever. I have an email account with an ISP and I had configured Outlook to send and receive emails via the ISP.

Within the last week, however, I can no longer send or receive emails at all. In addition, I can't seem to access any website over https . If I connect to another wireless network everything works. Only when I use the Vodafone 3G network do I get these problems. I haven't consciously changed any settings recently but I guess I can't rule it out completely.

Does anyone have any idea where to look or what I can try? As I can't send/receive when I'm on the road it's somewhat of a showstopper. My netbook is running Windows XP SP3. My version of Mobile Connect Lite appears to be up to date.

Many thanks,

Simon
40 REPLIES 40

gjboydell
Not applicable
Hi Guys

geoffking39 - Thanks for the update. We'll get back to you as soon as we can.

gjboydell - If you weren't using send.vodafone.net then what Jenny described won't be what was causing you the problem.

As the issue is no longer affecting you I'm not 100% sure what was causing it. It could have been a temproary error with the mail server.

You are absolutley fine to use your AOL mail server with your Outlook and Mobile Broadband and if the connection is working then you won't need to change any settings.

I'm glad you're up and running again!

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

P.S for anyone else experiencing issues with their mobile broadband - Don't forget to check out the Troubleshooting section of our Help Centre.

Retired-MattyD1
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
As the initiator of this thread, you may be interested to know that I solved this problem on my computer.

I discovered that the Vodafone software had somehow created a second Wireless Network Connection on my Netbook. I disabled this and suddenly everything worked again.

Hi synuge

Thanks for letting us know you've got the problem sorted.

I'm sure it'll be of help to anyone else having a similar issue.

Thanks

MattyD

eForum Team

geoffking39
Not applicable
Ok Vodafone there is still no access to SSL sites (tested this weekend just gone) but i guess you are aware of that , i sill have not had a call although my partner did eventually get a call , i will be home in 2 weeks and will be starting service with a differant provider but i guess Vodafone dont care , a full year of excellant service although i did not have to call for any support! and i will know "call" you rotten , cheers Geoff . PS please dont reply to this unless to say you know exactly what the problem is .

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Geoffking

I'm sorry to here that you are still having problems. I have raised this is a fault for investigation via our teams in Technical Support.

I have just spoken to them in regards to this to understand why you didn't recieve a call back. I have arranged a callback for you between 9am and 5pm Tommorrow (6/04/09) They will call your partner to sort this out for you.

I'm sure we can get this sorted for you Geoff

Let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions please let us know

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

geoffking39
Not applicable
Vodafone as i have said before i can not use my mobile where i am working but if you will provide a normal landline nu where i can ring your tech dept i will do so , i can not ring your 0870 nu , i have asked for this before but without success , you can send me an email with the nu , Geoff .

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately we do not have a contact number to our Tech Dept which isn't a 08700 number.

However, I have spoken to our tech department regarding this and the reason for the HTTPS sites not allowing you access is that the sites must be blocking our IP ranges and considering them as SPAM. The best way to get this resolved is to contact the websites you are trying to access and ask them to remove the block from our IP range.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions please let us know and we'll be happy to help

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

geoffking39
Not applicable
Vodafone , if certain sites consider Vodafones IP range as SPAM shouldn`t it be you contacing them!!! and not me , Geoff .

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Geoff

I appreciate what you are saying here but this fault is not with the Vodafone Network. I'm sure the company's/sites in questions will be able to resolve this matter for you straight away.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

glenn.back
Not applicable
I have experienced the same problem, unable to access any https site - including unable to log into my Vodafone account! So unless Vodafone is blacklisting its own mobile broadband, I think there must be another explanation! I know another pay and go customer that can access these https sites, so something odd is going on here. My browser tells me it is timing out trying to connect to https sites, so could this have something to do with my pretty slow GPRS connections speed (the other guy gets 3G speeds).

Incidentally, one site I can't access is "hotmail.com" and I think it faintly ridiculous that Vodafone (an international company these days) should ask individual customers to sort out their connectivity to another global company (Microsoft)!

There clearly IS something wrong with the VF mobile network here.

Have logged this with VF support but got no answer so far.

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey VFmobilebbnewbie,

Great to see you found our little eForum! :P

Well, I can certainly appreciate your frustrations on this, but thought I'd explain.

Whilst it may indeed appear that the whole of the service is down, I assure you, this is not the case, and even logged on to https sites (including Hotmail) myself only yesterday on my E220 as part of my everyday net activities. This issue you describe can sometimes indeed be a feature of connection in a specific locale (for example, connections through a faulty packet switch), or sometimes down to local machine MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit).

To help us get a clearer picture of what's going on, can you:

-Test the connection on 3G Only.
-Test the connection on 2G Only.
-Try the modem with another PC.
-Try the modem in another location.

Can you please let us know how you fare with this! :)

Daz

eForum Team