Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I not port forward?

vegtable
4: Newbie

Hi,

I am using a regular phone SIM - not a data only SIM. I am using it in an LTE router. It is not a Vfe supplied one so I am sure you are going to tell me you can't help me configure it - thats fine. 

What I want to know is should port forwarding work with this type of SIM? Is the IP address I am allocated a public IP address? I have connected to the router and tried both port forwarding and also putting the computer into the DMZ. The firewall on the computer is open. I have tried forwarding ports 2222 and 32400 but both appear to be closed.

I don't believe I have made a mistake in the router settings - there really isn't much to screw up.

Please can you also confirm which APN and user/password settings I should be using. 

C

11 REPLIES 11

Of fcouse one option to work around this is to find a service that lets you tunnel over the 4G connection. Andrews & Arnold do a L2TP service that should do the trick at a price. Issues to watch are reduced MTU size which can upset some services. Also, you will need hardware or software that can establish the tunnel. It you are using a PC that would be fine but if using a games console you would need to have another router behind that can support L2TP tunnels.

The above is n't a great option but it is a possible workaround for some?