Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cancelled DONGLE contract still picking up direct debits

frustrated22
4: Newbie

Summary:

-I took out a contract for a 4G dongle at a shop in Kingston KT3 back in October 2018

-I tried the dongle at home, but did not get a good signal

-therefore, Within a few days I returned to the shop and returned all the equipment (still October 2018)

-a few months later, i noticed that Direct debits were still being taken from my account, so I went back to the store, -spoke to the manager, and he said "yep, don't worry about it, you should get money back"

- I recently (Fenraury 2021 - yes 29 months later. I have 1000's of line items on my bank account) noticed (due to end of year accounting) that the DDs were still being taken by VF for a dongle that I returned back to the shop

- I rang the Vodafone chat, and did not pass security questions. They asked for the number, and repeated stated that I do not have a number

- i was given a website https://www.vodafone.co.uk/securityreset - but again it asked for my VF number, and I do not have one, because I returned my equipment , so i find myself in a catch-22 situation.

- i went onto chat again with VF. I asked them to check to see (and confirm) that there has been ZERO data uploaded/downloaded ever - but they can't do that becuase i need to verify my account. 

- I went round and round

-i have tried to cancel my DD with VF, but i need to verify my VF number - but I do not have a number, because I cancelled my contract within a few days of taking it out. so I have been going round and round with this

- today, I notified my bank that I want them to cancel my direct debits, and also request all DDs to be paid back. My bank have supported me. 

- Its only a few hundred pounds over 29 months, but I do not need any hassles with credit companies.

- VF could probably prove/ or show that no data has ever upload/downloaded in 29 months, but  how can i prove that I returned all my equipment back to the shop? I spoke to the manager in good faith?

thank you

Frustrated22

21 REPLIES 21

Farai
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

If the account is active, you will need to speak to out dedicated Cancellations team to get things cancelled @frustrated22 Based on what I can see in the interactions above, it seems you've had some trouble being verified as the account holder. I'm afraid in this situation only photographic I.D would be able to help you past this obstacle. Our Cancellations team will be able to advise further on this. 

I would also recommend checking your emails to see if you can find the Vodafone phone/ account number that was linked to the dongle in question. 

@Farai wrote:

If the account is active, you will need to speak to out dedicated Cancellations team to get things cancelled @frustrated22 Based on what I can see in the interactions above, it seems you've had some trouble being verified as the account holder. I'm afraid in this situation only photographic I.D would be able to help you past this obstacle. Our Cancellations team will be able to advise further on this. 

Dear Farai - thank you for your response, I can't seem to get to speak to any human being, i get an automated computer asking me for my phone number. I cannot get through to cancellations, let alone talking to any human being. I simply cannot get anyone to speak to me about my account. I have used telphone/this forum/ twitter/ on line chat.

@Farai wrote:

I would also recommend checking your emails to see if you can find the Vodafone phone/ account number that was linked to the dongle in question. 

@Farai, I have checked all my emails. I have no emails since my cancellation, and I have no bills nor invocies. 

from my initial welcome message from vodafone, i get this message...

And should you ever lose this email, don’t worry – you can view your agreement anytime by logging in at www.vodafone.co.uk/myvodafone and heading to ‘Important documents’.

but ofcourse, there are no documents in there

Frustrated22

All,

Are there any other ideas? I think that I am going to refer this to the Ombudsman. If I cannot prove my identity (according to VF rules), then I am at a standoff/ stalemate /deadlock. All phrases used by the social media team

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @frustrated22 I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty cancelling your Mobile Broadband service. I'll be more than happy to take a closer look into this and do whatever I can to help cancel your subscription. Please reply to our last DM with your Community ID, a link to this thread and advise I've asked you to contact us again regarding this. I'm sure I'll be able to help get this resolved for you 💪

@Mark wrote:

Please reply to our last DM with your Community ID, a link to this thread and advise I've asked you to contact us again regarding this. I'm sure I'll be able to help get this resolved for you 💪

Dear Mark,

thank you for your response - which DM do you refer to ? What and where would you like to to identify myself? If it is twitter, then I have already done what you suggest, and the last agent there said, "Unfortunately without the correct details we requested for security we'll be unable to provide any assistance today via this platform."

I have tried so many channels to communicate with your firm, without any success.

I am grateful for the help that you are offering, but please be aware that I have also started a procedure with OFCOM, and I have been in discussions with the ICO and CICAS

@frustrated22 wrote:

@Mark wrote:

Please reply to our last DM with your Community ID, a link to this thread and advise I've asked you to contact us again regarding this. I'm sure I'll be able to help get this resolved for you 💪

Dear @Mark ,

I'm looking forward to hearing from you again.... could you please clarify your point, and advise ? 

Frustrated22

Summary - 12th March 2021. I have tried every channel to speak with VF, and you have said that I have not been able to prove my identity.

email address (removed) donot-replyAT

Yesterday, my bank successfully (via the direct debit refund scheme) returned £633.12 of  funds back into my account. However, this morning I get this email from  the following address.

Hi J*******,

We just wanted to remind you that the bill for account number ******5136 is showing as overdue by £633.12.

Please contact us on 40444 from your Vodafone handset, alternatively call 08080045203 to pay now or click below to chat.

Chat With Us

I am now totally frustrated even more. Because VF clearly know who I am when they have to chase a debt. The irony is that I was not in debt, and it only took Vodafone a mere 24hours to chase me as soon as my direct debit was fully returned. Why can VF not use the same technology to validate who I am?? I have tried tirelessly to contact and prove my identity. I have asked VF to call me (with a human) so I can talk . No one has called me, but yet I get an email on my registered email account with you telling me to pay up.

So i clicked the button "chat with us" - and to my surprise, I cannot validate my identity because I cannot provide (1) a vodafone number (2) which channel did you use to communicate with us last?

OFCOM have given me guidelines and referred to ICO. ICO today referred me to your (1) your online chat (i know this is getting funny) (2) the privacy form - and the first question on that form is (i) what is your VF number? Today is 12th March 2021 - and by guidelines that VF have agreed to, then, and only then can i refer this to CISAS

frustrated22_0-1615548418814.png

I have also written to data.protectionATvodafoneDOTcom

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @frustrated22. I'm sorry that we've been unable to verify your identity through our customer service channels. Unfortunately, we're unable to discuss the account over a public forum and we would need security to be passed on the account before we're able to discuss the account with you.
If you have access to your online account or MyVodafone app, all your account information should be there for you. Alternatively, please check your emails for anything from Vodafone as these should also contain information required to pass security such as confirmation of the mobile or account number.

@Beth wrote:

Hi @frustrated22. I'm sorry that we've been unable to verify your identity through our customer service channels. ......

......If you have access to your online account or MyVodafone app, all your account information should be there for you. Alternatively, please check your emails for anything from Vodafone as these should also contain information required to pass security such as confirmation of the mobile or account number.

Dear Beth,

thank you for your email. And thank you for your advice, may I make a polite request: Please read my messages above, and you will see that I have already done everything that you suggest. Checked emails. Checked account. Please see screenshots in earlier messages.

What else can I do to prove my identity? I am happy to send my passport, or my bank statements (showing my name and address and also the direct debits) , or my utility bills (showing my name and address) to any address that you like? I can send you physical originals, or I can send you PDF copies. Honestly, I do not mind, but someone, somewhere in VF just please let me know.

For the record, once again. Your computer system is failing my identity only on  2 points: (1) I do not have a VF mobile number to show (2) last channel used for communications? (which is a misnomer), because the last channel used is :

(i) online chat, and

(ii) online forum, and

(iii)your social media team on twitter, and

(iv)your phone server

Frustrated22 -even more so now, because I am asked to do things which I have already demonstrated that I am doing (as shown above). 

Beth
Community Manager
Community Manager

@frustrated22 I can completely understand that you've already tried these methods before. We wouldn't be able to help you verify this information over the forum, so you would need to contact us again through customer services and attempt to pass security again so we can discuss the account with you.