Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cannot Install Dongle

Shanks
Not applicable
Ok I'm trying to help someone install their new Vodaphone dongle onto their laptop. They are running XP Hom,e and when they plug the dongle in it starts to run the install then stops and gives the message "You need Adminitrator Priviledges to install" the only optionis an OK box which when pressed just closes the box and returns to the desktop.

She is running this from her account which has full Admin rights. We have tried creating a new account with admin rights but get the same message. I even tried installing while is safe mode. But we get the massage that the install cannot be run in safe mode!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers
5 REPLIES 5

CS_moneybags
Not applicable
Ok I'm trying to help someone install their new Vodaphone dongle onto their laptop. They are running XP Hom,e and when they plug the dongle in it starts to run the install then stops and gives the message "You need Adminitrator Priviledges to install" the only optionis an OK box which when pressed just closes the box and returns to the desktop.

She is running this from her account which has full Admin rights. We have tried creating a new account with admin rights but get the same message. I even tried installing while is safe mode. But we get the massage that the install cannot be run in safe mode!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Try running the install on a different computer to see if its a problem with the dongle rather than computer.

Is your friends computer part of a network? if it is, the network admin may have disabled something in the network that could prevent it installing - well, thats just a guess on my part, but its worth checking out

Shanks
Not applicable
Try running the install on a different computer to see if its a problem with the dongle rather than computer.

Is your friends computer part of a network? if it is, the network admin may have disabled something in the network that could prevent it installing - well, thats just a guess on my part, but its worth checking out

Thanks CS_Moneybags, she is trying to instal it on her laptop, the only pc they have access to at the moment, and the only only onethay have had. It has never been part of a network.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

richie1913
4: Newbie
Hi Shanks,can you check to make sure you have at least service pack 2 Installed,If you only have service pack 1 then you will get this error.

Shanks
Not applicable
Hi Shanks,can you check to make sure you have at least service pack 2 Installed,If you only have service pack 1 then you will get this error.

Thanks richie1913, I'm ot sure but suspect she is stil on 1st release. I will get the upgrade done and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers

JD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Shanks

I just wanted to jump on to say; welcome to the eForum :)

As you've already seen, we have a great community here, always willing to help. The advice from CS_Moneybags and richie1913 is spot on. Let me know how your friend gets on.

Also, when your friend manages to get online, make sure to recommend our help centre which has pages dedicated to mobile broadband to help them get the most from it.

Cheers

J
eForum Team