Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connected But No Data Transfer

simon_pattison
Not applicable
I've had mobile broadband for a few months now, and most of the time the connection has been OK.
Recently, there have been times when the data transfer has dropped, sometimes to 0kbs. After a minute or two, it goes back to normal.
The other day however, there was no data transfer at all. Since then a connection can be made every time, but there is no data transfer, so nothing loads.
The upload and download both say 0kbs, even with a browser open trying to load my homepage. I've left it connected for hours to see if it sorts itself out, but with no results.
There have been no changes to my PC, so it can be a problem with that.
In case it's related to signal in my area, my postcode is CV31 1JP.
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

simon_pattison
Not applicable
In trying to solve the problem, I've made things worse. :(
I downloaded the latest software for the device, found here; Device software update
The new version of the software seems to work, but it no longer recognises my USB dongle.
Is there some new VMC software that would help with this, or can the update be undone?
Thanks.

simon_pattison
Not applicable
After downloading the latest version of the VMC software, the USB dongle seems to be recognised again, but this doesn't solve the problem of the data transfer.
So it can't be my PC or outdated software.
Is there anything else I can try?

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Simon

This is odd. :huh:

I've had a look at the network in your area and there aren't any signal issues there.

Do you have a Vodafone mobile with us? If so, try your SIM from the modem in the phone and connect to the internet. Are you able to load up webpages? If you can then it sounds as though there is a problem with the modem - Check out the Vodafone Repairs thread for your next steps.

If it's still the same in your phone then reply to the email I'm sending you and we'll get to the bottom of this. ;)

If you would like to see anymore Mobile Broadband Troubleshooting tips click here.

Speak to you soon!

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

simon_pattison
Not applicable
Do you have a Vodafone mobile with us?

Thanks for your reply.
I don't have a Vodafone phone, so I can't test this.
I tried the Troubleshooting page, but there wasn't any help available.

Would it be worth taking my dongle to my local Vodaphone shop to see if they can find any problems?

JD
Hi simon_pattison

Thanks for getting back to us. A Vodafone shop might not have the necessary equipment to be able to investigate that for you. The best thing to do now will be to reply to the email from Kirsty and we'll be able to check how your modems connecting at a network level. Reply to the email with all the details it asks for as well as:

Computer Make/Model (E.g Dell Inspiron)
Operating System (E.g Windows Vista)
Which Anti Virus you use (E.g Norton 360)
Which Modem model (Found on the sticker on the bottom of the modem E.g E220)

I'm sure we'll be able to get you up and running in no time. :)

Speak to you soon.

J
eForum Team

simon_pattison
Not applicable
Thanks for the response Jay.
After trying a few more times, data started to be transferred again.
I'm not sure what the problem was, but hopefully it'll continue to work as it did.
Thanks.