Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data throttling when tethering?

muppix
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi Gang,

I'm really impressed with Vodafone's snappy 4G speed when roaming - it's the reason I moved here from O2 as they don't offer anything above 3G when abroad, and charge quite heavily to boot.

Anyway, I see that I'm getting about 20 Mb/s downstream on my phone when roaming with a good 4G signal, but when I connect my laptop to my iPhone 6s via bluetooth or WiFi it only gets 1.5 Mb/s.

The 4G speed when roaming is important to a remote worker like me, but not when I can't take advantage of it outside my handset. Has anybody had similar issues and found a resolution?

Cheers,

Mark.

3 REPLIES 3

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I've used my phone as a hotspot whilst roaming loads of times and haven't experienced any throttling if speed like you describe. Obviously there is a slight drop in speed but not as significant as you mention.

It may be down to the country you're in at present - perhaps the network in that country throttles speed on hotspots?

PWIAC

To close the loop on this and maybe help somebody else out; the drastic drop in speed was due to me connecting to my phone's hotspot via Bluetooth. When I connect via WiFi or USB I get the same speed on connected devices as I do on the handset itself.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@muppix – Thanks for updating us on this – I’m pleased this is sorted now. :Smiling: