Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dell Inspiron Mini 9: Expanding Memory

darrenshinkins
4: Newbie
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking of getting myself a Dell netbook to use as a secondary computer to my desktop. One of the key things that I want to do is to install iTunes so as to quicky put some music/video on my 4GB iPod Nano.

Clearly the included 8GB SSD drive is going to be a bit limited to do this easily. Has anyone else here managed to upgrade their drive to do this? Either installing a larger SSD or adding a memory card?

What is the best way to do this, and would it work ok using iTunes etc?

Thanks
D
8 REPLIES 8

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
I'd suggest a USB key / drive - most netbooks have the flash modules soldered onboard, or, in some way, registered with the BIOS, to detect a fixed size - you are probably just opening yourself up to difficulties if you try and change this, rather than opting for a simpler solution, but, best of luck - I'd be very interested to hear if you do manage to change the flash chip.
Neil

darrenshinkins
I'd suggest a USB key / drive - most netbooks have the flash modules soldered onboard, or, in some way, registered with the BIOS, to detect a fixed size - you are probably just opening yourself up to difficulties if you try and change this, rather than opting for a simpler solution, but, best of luck - I'd be very interested to hear if you do manage to change the flash chip.

Thanks Neil,

Having had a look at the Netbook help on here they state that the SSD can't be upgraded, so you're probably quite right. I'm just wondering now if adding a memort card to the 3 in 1 memory card reader might be a better alternative (slightly neater than having a pen drive poking out at all times! :) )

What are the thoughts of the forum on this? Is this an idea? Anyone know of any limitiations of the size of memory card that the reader will support?

Thanks

Neil_Brown
I do this with my Acer Aspire One, for that very reason, but, I don't know about the Mini 9's capability in terms of supporting SDHC etc., unfortunately.
Neil

darrenshinkins
Nice one Neil,

To be honest, I'm not really after a huge memory upgrade, as this would be a secondary computer, with the bulk of my files backed up on my main computer, so I'm sure a modest size card would do the job.

I'd still be interested to know if anyone knows what the Inspiron's limitations are on supporting memory cards, if anyone in the forum has experienced it.

In the meantime, I'll give it a go, and let you all know how I get on! :D

Ta
D

tempest3k
I have a 16GB SDHC card in my Mini 9 and it works perfectly. There are guides to replacing the SSD drive on the web, but be warned about the risk of invalidating warranty etc etc.

darrenshinkins
Thanks Tempest3K,

I'm sure that 16GB would be pretty much enough for what I want to do!

Once I've ordered it and managed to try it out, I'll let you know how I got on! :D

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi darrano :)

I don't think I really need to add much to this discussion other than please let us know how you get on as we're really interested to know as are our eForum members :)

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

darrenshinkins
Hi darrano :)

I don't think I really need to add much to this discussion other than please let us know how you get on as we're really interested to know as are our eForum members :)

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Thanks Wayne,

I'm on my new Dell now. Installed iTunes, and it actually works a treat although speakers are a bit tinny, naturally! :)

Don't event need to buy any extra memory right now cos this netbook has a 16GB SSD (not 8 as I thought it would be!)

So far, so good, just got to get an iPod now to try that out with it! :)