Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle + Pc = Access Point?

leefarrant
1: Seeker
Hi,

I have a black dongle from Vodafone and I was wondering if it was possible to setup my PC as an access point and whether the Connect Software would allow me to do this? I see an option there for WLAN but not sure how to use it. I am on Vista.

Thanks

Lee
6 REPLIES 6

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
Hmm... I've not used Vista for a while, but, what you want is outside the scope of the VMC software, to my mind, but within the Windows networking tools - you need to establish a connection, and then permit Internet Connection Sharing via that connection.

Whether you'd need to make specific changes to your WLAN software to permit use as an ad hoc connection would be another matter too :)
Neil

leefarrant
Hello Neil,

Thanks for the advice. I can look into the networking side (non VMC) but does that WLAN in VMC option have to be touched at all as part of this process? What is it for?

Hmm... I've not used Vista for a while, but, what you want is outside the scope of the VMC software, to my mind, but within the Windows networking tools - you need to establish a connection, and then permit Internet Connection Sharing via that connection.

Whether you'd need to make specific changes to your WLAN software to permit use as an ad hoc connection would be another matter too :)

Neil_Brown
No, it need not be touched - I think it's just an interface for your existing WLAN card, but, can't say I've ever looked.
Neil

leefarrant
Thanks Neil
Lee

No, it need not be touched - I think it's just an interface for your existing WLAN card, but, can't say I've ever looked.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Thanks for the advice. I can look into the networking side (non VMC) but does that WLAN in VMC option have to be touched at all as part of this process? What is it for?

Hi Lee,

Neil is right, this is not something that the VMC Software can handle - but if you have the right kind of Wi-Fi equipment and tweak Windows Internet Connection Sharing, it could be possible.

The WLAN option in VMC is actually a throw-back to our older PCMCIA cards, some of which included a Wi-Fi adapter - and you can also use it to control your own Wi-Fi adapter if you have one. You will not need to touch it :)

Jon

eForum Team

leefarrant
Thanks Jon

Hi Lee,

Neil is right, this is not something that the VMC Software can handle - but if you have the right kind of Wi-Fi equipment and tweak Windows Internet Connection Sharing, it could be possible.

The WLAN option in VMC is actually a throw-back to our older PCMCIA cards, some of which included a Wi-Fi adapter - and you can also use it to control your own Wi-Fi adapter if you have one. You will not need to touch it :)

Jon

eForum Team