Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Dongle With Asuseee Pc Replaced With V3

bobndee
4: Newbie
It's reported that the USB PAYT dongle can work with the Asus EEE pc, sadly in the case of my 900 series it is not the case, however it does with the 701.
Having downloaded and installed the Linux drivers from the betavine site as directed by the tech section, the Vodafone man at the shop had to admit defeat when asked to set it up for me.

The conclusion was It won't work on Xandros Linux in the 900.

So we wipe the computer, install a clean copy of XP home SP2. Plug the dongle in only to receive a not enough space message. 16 gig should be plenty, but the 900 has 2 drives and the autorun gives no option to install anywhere other than the smaller c drive alongside the o/s.

Manually downloading the software from the web to the larger drive we were getting somewhere near to the demo video, but then it throws up a .NET error and cannot install so we have given up trying.

The good news is, my PAYT V3 motorola can work as a modem, the eee pc has recognised it, attempted to connect, but came up with a ppp link terminated error. any step by step help would be appreciated? 
11 REPLIES 11

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
It's reported that the USB PAYT dongle can work with the Asus EEE pc, sadly in the case of my 900 series it is not the case, however it does with the 701.

What is the model of the dongle in question.

What error messages did you get?
Neil

bobndee
What is the model of the dongle in question.

What error messages did you get?

The dongle is a K3565
1635 microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 could not be installed.

However....... an update. 

I wiped both drives again and performed a clean install of XP SP2. I did not allow it to update a thing. Now the dongle managed to install but it was touch and go.

All I can think of is that as the previous installation was fully updated, a windows hotfix may have caused the problem.

Neil_Brown
Oh - sorry - I meant the Linux error :)
Neil

bobndee
Oh - sorry - I meant the Linux error :)

I never saw the Linux error myself as the Vodafone guy was attempting to set it up. (I'd asked to see the dongle working before I purchased it) The drivers from the betavine repository were installed and the vodafone icon appeared as it should, but nothing else would function. The 900 repositories do the same with other items that I had working fine on the 701.

As a footnote, although the dongle now connects on the XP, vodafone coverage in my locale is too sparse for it to be of any practical use for my needs. No 3g and gprs is so weak that webpages time out, even the V3 is no good, guess it's back to McDonalds free Wi-Fi.

Neil_Brown
Ah- fair enough. I think the main problem with the 900 is that is uses a slightly different structure, but, I thought that that had been fixed now.
Neil

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi bobby55

I'm sorry to hear of your problems here.

Now although I can't help with your Linux situation I will be able to check the coverage in your area for you to see if there are any problems and/or to see if there are an expected ungrades or areas of particularly good coverage.

LEt me know your full postcode and I'll be able to help you further with this :)

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

bobndee
Hi bobby55

I'm sorry to hear of your problems here.

Now although I can't help with your Linux situation I will be able to check the coverage in your area for you to see if there are any problems and/or to see if there are an expected ungrades or areas of particularly good coverage.

LEt me know your full postcode and I'll be able to help you further with this :)

Thanks

Wayne
 Thanks Wayne

eForum Team

My postcode is IP130PL, according to the coverage maps we are on the outer edge. Nearest 3g to us is 8 miles.

bobndee
To add insult to injury, I finall connected and got access to the web, I met with content control and phoned Vodafone. After taking all my details I was asked for a Credit Card...which I don't have, just a debit card used to purchase the damn thing. They cannot remove it without a credit card but I can drive 60 miles round trip to the vodafone shop who will take my debit card.

Vodafone is getting lower on my christmas card list.  Any constructive advice welcomed.

bobndee
Managed to make the trip and get it removed. Still trying to download ebay using Opera browser and IE with no success. Now trying Chrome which is a bit faster.

Any joy on the coverage yet? I did supply the postcode.