Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

E160 Connection On A Mac

Ronin56
Not applicable
I am trying to connect an E160 on a Mac Notebook and I cannot get it to connect. I have flashing green lights and a utility I have (Cheetah Watch) tells me that I have a signal but when I try to connect I get 'No carrier detected'. Could it be that the signal is just too weak, the wrong type (Edge?) or do I have other problems? I tried to reinstall but only succeeded in losing the VMC. Does anyone have a link for the software because I can't get the dongle to start from scratch? Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8

LeeJS
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Ronin56 and welcome to our great eForum community,

Having checked your profile to get your post code I've noticed that you're not a Vodafone UK customer.

As such, you wouldn't be able to use our software to get a connection.

My best advise would be to contact your network provider for assistance with their Mobile Broadband offerings to see what needs to be done to get you up and running.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Lee

eForum Team

Ronin56
Not applicable
Hi Ronin56 and welcome to our great eForum community,

Having checked your profile to get your post code I've noticed that you're not a Vodafone UK customer.

As such, you wouldn't be able to use our software to get a connection.

My best advise would be to contact your network provider for assistance with their Mobile Broadband offerings to see what needs to be done to get you up and running.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Lee

eForum Team

You're right in one respect, I'm not a UK customer but the dongle I have (SFR) has completely Vodafone software on it and everything is in English so I thought somebody might be able to help me.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Ronin

Welcome again to the forum, :)

Are you using an SFR sim in the modem as well? We can't guarantee or support a connection to work unless you've got a Vodafone simcard within the modem as the connection settings, i.e. APN etc are specific to Vodafone.

The Vodafone software can be installed on any platform or modem as it is simply connection management software, running a connection to the network however is entirely dependant on the sim card.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Ronin56
Not applicable
Hi Ronin

Welcome again to the forum, :)

Are you using an SFR sim in the modem as well? We can't guarantee or support a connection to work unless you've got a Vodafone simcard within the modem as the connection settings, i.e. APN etc are specific to Vodafone.

The Vodafone software can be installed on any platform or modem as it is simply connection management software, running a connection to the network however is entirely dependant on the sim card.

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

Hi Reidar,

Thanks for responding. Yes it's a SFR sim. I understand your reluctance to commit to non-Vodafone kit. I wonder if you know what the APN is for SFR PAYG? The problem I have, which I guess is identical with Vodafone & SFR is how to get the dongle to act as if I'd never installed it at all so that I can start from scratch? Also, could the message 'No carrier detected' just mean that the signal is poor where I am? Thanks if you can answer any of these, no problem if not. I guess I'll just have to muster my best French and go into the SFR shop.

Cheers

Ron

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Ron

I'm afraid I don't know the APN for SFR.

If the software is the same as ours then its just a matter of uninstalling the software from your computer. I'm sorry that I am unable to help any further.

I'm sure our french counterparts will be able to get everything sorted for you :)

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
I've no idea if it is the PAYT APN or the standard GPRS APN (if, indeed, it's differentiated), but, you could try:

Operator: - SFR
GPRS APN: - websfr
Username: - {blank}
Password: - {blank}
DNS: - 172.20.2.10, 194.6.128.4
Neil

Ronin56
Not applicable
I've no idea if it is the PAYT APN or the standard GPRS APN (if, indeed, it's differentiated), but, you could try:

Operator: - SFR
GPRS APN: - websfr
Username: - {blank}
Password: - {blank}
DNS: - 172.20.2.10, 194.6.128.4

Thanks for that Neil. My French is reasonable but the bumph that came with the dongle is limited to say the least on technical details, in fact it just about tells you to plug it in and you'll all live happily ever after! Tried it today and got connected OK in a different location so I guess it was a signal problem.

Neil_Brown
Excellent- glad you are sorted.
Neil