Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Feeling ripped off

Lillajapan
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Since I upgraded the SIM card on my phone (three, works perfect) to unlimited data and 30gb hotspot I haven’t been using the Wi-Fi dongle. I have been thinking for

months I should just cancel it. Haven’t even charged the unit to be able to turn it on. Yet I just got charged over £200, and someone apparently called on the 20th August getting through the security check and uncapping the data usage, claiming to be me. I’d say check my phone call history and it’s clear it wasn’t me. How can it be so unsafe? I have now cancelled the Wi-Fi, but I’m being paranoid someone can call in and claim to be me and “restart” it again? Since they could uncap it, and somehow for access to it (it’s been locked into my room except for a few minutes a day when I unlock the door to get in and out)  that can surely happen too... I have also put every part of the dongle I different places. I can’t even use it to visit the few web pages I visit also another reason I stopped using it. 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Have Vodafone Customer Services initiated a fraud investigation @Lillajapan

Have they explained how the charges could have been racked up if you've been in sole possession. 

Someone must have had access to use the data. 

Data Caps can be activated and de activated via the myvodafone application so does not always need a phone call or online session with Live Chat. 

Vodafone can advise how much has been used but not what it's been used to view. 

To stop further unauthorised access a person can add a security question / password on their account. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

They did and closed it not giving a ##~##.

They said I used it and I was clearly told someone called them the 20th of August to uncap it. Getting past security questions... and I wa dimly home like an hour most of the days the high usage was supposedly used. Only got 30 gb hotspot on my phone(with three), always struggle to actually use most of it. 

I canceled it but I’m going to call to make sure it can’t be changed to go active again as someone obviously got through the security questions before it’ll happen again. 

AnnS

Hi @Lillajapan

Unless you have an entertainment pass, information here :  Vodafone Passes Vodafone do not have plans with unlimited data, you have an allowance and if it is exceeded you are charged extra.  You have to manage the allowance make and sure you don't go over by following the information on this link: Managing your data usage

Where data caps are concerned for mobile broadband dongles and mobile WiFi devices, the data cap of off by default and would have needed to be turned on by following the information on this link: Data Caps

If the dongle was pay monthly and you were outside of the 30 day cancellation period when you cancelled, Vodafone would have made an early termination charge and this may be the reason for the £200.00 charge.

The best thing to do here is to wait for the forum Team to get to the thread, they will be able to access the account and find out what has happened.

I have the exact same issue. They also claimed I called them on the 20th August to remove the cap. They could just check my phone call history with three and they’d see it wasn’t me. Haven’t even charged the device since I upgraded my phones SIM card. Which is months ago. Kept thinking to cancel it but I don’t like talking on the phone so been pushing it forward ... I really regret that now £200+ later ...

I said unlimited data was on three for my phone. 30gb hotspot which I can nevertheless actually use up completely. Not on Vodafone. I had 50gb with Vodafone. And gone in less than a week, when I wasn’t in the house other than actually sleeping. 8 gb on days I was home for half an hour ... 

i was clesrly told someone called in on the 20th of August, got through security questions and then turned it off. That’s what I was told by Vodafone ... 

and the 200 are taken before I cancelled it. So can’t be a cancelling charge. I’m going to lock the sim to make sure it can’t be used. As I got an email saying if I change my mind about cancelling to call them. Obviously someone already managed to get through security questions so will probably do it again and “change my mind”. 

Adam
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @Lillajapan if you're determined that you didn't use this, we're happy to look into this further for you. Please send us your information by following the steps I've sent you on a private message.