Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gigacube shockingly slow

Thundorn
2: Seeker

I bought the GigaCube having been sold on it's "Amazing speeds in rural areas compared to cable" 
When I spoke to the salesperson, they told me that Vodafone was the superior network and that unlike other's whose internet would slow down significantly during peak times, The gigacube would be reliable and consistent.

However So far the service has been anything but fast, and certainly not consistent. I have contacted customer support about the issue once before and was told that it was probably down to my signal strength or how many people are using the service, somewhat contradicting the salesperson who sold me the device

Since having the device, I have not successfully been able to watch Netflix or even a youtube video without spending most of the time Buffering (in fact it has taken several attempts to load this page!). My signal is at full strength (i.e 5 bars shown on the router app)

To be fair, Upload speeds have been tolerable but downspeeds have averaged less than 100kbps and I think i've only seen it go over 1mb a couple of times on the network monitor.

I've tried using the Ethernet cable but it's the same as Wifi. From what I can see on this forum I'm not the only person to have had this problem. I can only assume that there is some kind of problem or throttling going on so if someone from Vodafone could assist...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Thundorn 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can take a look for you. I'd suggest Twitter and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

What the Network Mast checker does not show is possible mast congestion too.

Here are a few similar threads that may help.

Super-slow-gigacube-4g. 

Slow-speeds-from-Vodafone-Gigacube-5G. 

Slow-Gigacube-Speeds. 

I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you and I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

9 REPLIES 9

AnnS

Hi @Thundorn 

The problem with the Gigacube is unlike a fixed Broadband connection, it's still dependent on a mobile phone signal and you are going to expect some fluctuation with speed especially in a rural location, even more so at this time of year with more tree growth than in winter blocking out some of the signal.

I will refer you to this following link Network Issues  where it is recommended to check your signal from the coverage checker where you should be able to get an indication of the speed you can expect to achieve at the location. 

If you would like further help and advice follow this link to speak directly to the Social Team.

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Thundorn 

The Vodafone Social Media Teams via Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries can take a look for you. I'd suggest Twitter and link back to your thread here including your forum username so your not having to repeat yourself.

What the Network Mast checker does not show is possible mast congestion too.

Here are a few similar threads that may help.

Super-slow-gigacube-4g. 

Slow-speeds-from-Vodafone-Gigacube-5G. 

Slow-Gigacube-Speeds. 

I appreciate how frustrating this must be for you and I wish you all the best with this situation. 

🌈 Stay Safe & Stay Alert.  🌈 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Jarmstrong1000

I have the same problem. It worked fine up to a few months ago. Now sometimes I only get dial up speed. Really disappointing and the Helpdesk never fixes it. 

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @Jarmstrong1000 - I appreciate how important it is to have a stable connection, especially now.

I would advise the same as @BandOfBrothers and @AnnS have above. Gigacubes run off of the mobile network, so it's worth checking your 4G network coverage in your area 😊

Also don't hesitate to drop us a message on social media so we check your account and run through further troubleshooting.

Same issue 

network status in area is fine
musing unlimited data

4g gigacube

1 device connected

12am 22mb

After 10am 2mb

swap to 3G it is faster than 4g

Full bars reception, mast is 1km away

purchased an external aerial no difference

have reset, changed apn, use google dns

indicates that the 4g network is totally oversubscribed at peak times (when I need it the most for work) and I really wish Vodafone would just say so rather than just wasting our time by telling us to turn it off and on again.

The other day I spent 2 hours on support and have made 2 complaints.

The iPhone on 4g is faster even at times of slow speed, but I cannot use a phone to work or will I hotspot when I need to print out and use as a network.

It used to work okay, but is getting worse and worse, in evening cannot even watch Netflix or iplayer.

why sell something as gigacube To a business user when you cannot get more than 2mb In the day !

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling to connect using your Gigacube @Mrdave. We'll be happy to take a look into this and see what we can do to help improve your speeds, pop us a message though one of our Social Channels and one of our dedicated team will take a look

Hi I have the same issue. I have had the gigacube for over a year and all worked well up to two weeks ago the cubes speed has dropped and is erratic. Fast some time slow most of the time at dial up speeds. I have now been told the cube is not supported in my area. Is this true? Why sell something that’s not supported in th ML11 area. If I get a netgear indipendant router as I need an Ethernet port would this work with my sim? Just trying to think of my options. The signal is great it’s just so slow. Will the issue be the same? I put the Vodafone sim in my iPhone 12 and we get the same erratic speed suggesting it’s not the cube but the mast?

I took the sim out of my gigacube and now use a TP Link Archer 600. It has improved the performance massively. for me, it has more ethernet ports and actually has improved everything.

You can get it on Amazon

https://amzn.to/37IGzW8

Before that i had tried everything, painful talking to support, they just follow a script, but it is worth trying what they suggest. I guess it can depend on what the problem is, maintenance on the mast, speed cap, signal on your phone... For me the speed in the cube was just rubbish, but good in the phone, The mast is 1km away.

unfortunately vodafone support was no help at all, i came to the conclustion that gigacube is just not a very good router, it is cheap, which is why you get it almost free, and also the 4g network is so busy with lockdown.

it might be worth a try? it really did work for me.

it might also be worth checking if you have a speed cap on your sim card? depends on what gigacube package you bought. I have unlimited but still only manage to get 15mbps.

I done exactly the same. My gigacube was seriously unreliable and quite often would time out leaving Netflix buffering every five mins. I bought the TP link MR 600 V2 after reading your suggestion and it’s doubled my download speed from 35 to nearly 100!! Thank you so much. I really think it’s the gigacube device itself that struggles. 

46F4E4EB-AE3C-4DBF-BF5A-838BB929B6CD.jpeg