Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Gt 3g Quad Mobile Connect Data Card Incompatible With Lenovo X200 Laptop

Jonahzrx
Not applicable
I have had a Vodafone GT 3G Quad Mobile connect data card for a few years but now have a problem. My new laptop is a Lenovo X200 and the card slot is an ExpressCard 54mm slot. My GT 3G card is the same width but seems to stick out twice as far as it did in my old Lenovo. I'm a corporate customer and so don't have my account details but I do know the sim telephone number. Can you suggest a fix please?

Martyn
6 REPLIES 6

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
A different card or a different laptop is most likely the solution, I'm afraid - perhaps a USB modem? It sounds as if you have a different form of ExpressCard slot (or, else, just a shallower one) - does the card still work, even if it sticks out?
Neil

Jonahzrx
Not applicable
A different card or a different laptop is most likely the solution, I'm afraid - perhaps a USB modem? It sounds as if you have a different form of ExpressCard slot (or, else, just a shallower one) - does the card still work, even if it sticks out?

It doesnt work even though I D/L the latest version of Mobile Connect. Can I put my sim into a dongle perhaps? If so, where do i get one from?

Neil_Brown
Your SIM should work in a dongle, yes - and I'd have thought that a Vodafone store would be able to sell you one?
Neil

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Jonahxrz and welome to the eForum

This certainly looks like you may have a different type of card here and I think the suggestion of buying a Mobile Broadband Dongle is a great idea. Take a look at our online Store for more information on what is available :) I think the PAYT one would be the best one for you to use and you can use you Vodafone SIM inside of that.

Let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions please let me know

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

vulcanpilot
4: Newbie
I have had a Vodafone GT 3G Quad Mobile connect data card for a few years but now have a problem. My new laptop is a Lenovo X200 and the card slot is an ExpressCard 54mm slot. My GT 3G card is the same width but seems to stick out twice as far as it did in my old Lenovo. I'm a corporate customer and so don't have my account details but I do know the sim telephone number. Can you suggest a fix please?

Martyn

I suspect your 3G datacard is a PCMCIA card and not an ExpressCard. The ExpressCard slot is a bit of an oddity as it appears to be the same width as a PCMCIA card but is actually only 1/2 width at the connector end.

I have a Lenovo T61 which has both slots - one above the other. A PCMCIA Card will stot into the ExpressCard slot but will only go in half way and it obviously won't connect. Are you sure you don't have one of each? Externally both slots look identical. If you have two slots, try the other one and see if the card fits. If not, you will need to buy an ExpressCard Mobile Connect card.

HTH.

Neil_Brown
Good call that pilot!
Neil