Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How Do You Get A Payg Data Sim Without A Modem

ubik70
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
I have a nice new Samsung NC10 with 3g modem built in. Getting a Data Sim on PAYG for it from Voda seems like getting blood from a stone though.
The item doesn't exist online, the telephone people sent me four PAYG talk sims, but the tech guy said they where the wrong sims. I was then told to go to a store. They said you have to pay £39 for a modem to get one.
So I sent a web message to Voda. I was told to go to a store. Different store, same meesage. Get a £39 modem I don't need.

Is it possable to get a data sim so I can pay my £15/Gb to Voda, or do I need to use another network??

SimonFeatherstone - Long term Contract voice customer!
9 REPLIES 9

daveastra
13: Advanced Member
I have a nice new Samsung NC10 with 3g modem built in. Getting a Data Sim on PAYG for it from Voda seems like getting blood from a stone though.
The item doesn't exist online, the telephone people sent me four PAYG talk sims, but the tech guy said they where the wrong sims. I was then told to go to a store. They said you have to pay £39 for a modem to get one.
So I sent a web message to Voda. I was told to go to a store. Different store, same meesage. Get a £39 modem I don't need.

Is it possable to get a data sim so I can pay my £15/Gb to Voda, or do I need to use another network??

hi there, currently the only way to get a PAYT Data sim is as the stores have said, you will need to buy the £39 pack, but this does include a £15 top up on it already, so its not just the sim your getting, also then you`d have a spare stick for should the worst happen.
i think the reasoning for VF doing things this way is rather good actually, as `most` users will need the stick, and also the software too, another function of the stick is also to hold micro sd cards, so it wouldnt be a waste of money, besides, if you really wanna make the money back i guess ya could always ebay it!!

hope this helps

p.s welcome to the eforum

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Simon and welcome to the eForum from all of the eForum Team :)

I completely understand why you would like to do this but unfortunatly we do not offer a PAYT SIM only. You would need to purchase the modem on top of this.

If this isn't an option for you have you thought about a Mobile Broadband Contract which comes with a FREE modem ( I know you wouldn't need this) for £15 per month. Check it out on our Online Store

I'm sure we are in the process of getting a PAYT Sim Only Data SIM made available however I cannot give any timescales or definite answers as to when this will be

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

carcuscrae
Not applicable
Hi

I also have a Samsung NC10 3G. If I did buy one of these dongles would I be able to use the TopUp and Go sim card in the NC10 ok or is the sim locked to the dongle?

Thanks

Jebelious
16: Advanced member
you can use the SIM out of the dongle in the netbook, just make sure that you use the correct APN PP.INTERNET

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

carcuscrae
Not applicable
you can use the SIM out of the dongle in the netbook, just make sure that you use the correct APN PP.INTERNET

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Can you give me a link or tell me here what all the settings should be please?

Thanks

michaelm
4: Newbie

I'm sure we are in the process of getting a PAYT Sim Only Data SIM made available however I cannot give any timescales or definite answers as to when this will be

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hey, this is good news and the first time I have seen this - the normal reply is 'there are no plans, no customer demand'. To me (as a potential user) there is a lot of demand with more and more laptops having 3g built in. This topic comes up so often it should, in fact, be a stick!

Let's hope the Sim only is with us soon, Mike

Jebelious
Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Can you give me a link or tell me here what all the settings should be please?

Thanks

it will be in the software that you use to connect with the netbook, ensure that in the settings for the access point name you use PP.INTERNET

Number to dial shoould be *99#
Username and password: web

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

peterpp_bg
4: Newbie
Look here:
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=6675
Three weeks ago I went to two Vodafone retail stores in Croydon, armed with the info from the link above, and was told in both places I have to get the dongle. There is no "SIM only" option.
I tried explaining that Vodafone's eForum says the opposite since September 2008, but I received the special look "you are crazy mate, we know better than you" and went home empty handed.

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Guys

carcuscrae - I just wanted to confirm that the settings given by Jebelious are spot on.

peterpp_bg - I'm sorry that this has happened. I can completely understand your frustration here.

To avoid this happening again I have edited the post in this thread and added the correct information at the bottom.

To cofirm - Vodafone do not currently offer a Mobile Broadband package that does not come with a modem.

Sales or some stores may offer a Mobile Broadband package without you taking a modem but this is not standard practice and cannot be guaranteed and is at their discretion.

I'm glad I could clear this up.

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team