Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet Ping

westhamunitedfc
4: Newbie
Hi, if this is a little off-topic, i apologise.

Im thinking of getting a Xbox 360 and to connect online via xbox live, i would have to use the USB modem as my source of internet. However, my ping is high, in about the early 200s. From what i understand, the ping affects your gaming speeds.

Would it be that bigger problem with a ping as high as mine?

Is there any way to lower my ping?
3 REPLIES 3

heady

First off - if you think your "ping times" are high - try 2min+ as per post #50 here: http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...mp;#entry167922

From experence and as per the way 3G mobile broadband networks works - 200ms pings are to be expected and are resonable. The lowest I've seen are ~100ms; ~200ms as what I'd consider normal and ~2min+ being what I'm currently getting; being very high.

Ping times within a 3G network depends mainly on how busy the radio interface is (between the dongle and the phone tower) as that is the bottleneck.

As you have very limited ability to change the congestion occuring on the radio interface your ability to improve the ping times significantly is also limited.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi, if this is a little off-topic, i apologise.

Im thinking of getting a Xbox 360 and to connect online via xbox live, i would have to use the USB modem as my source of internet. However, my ping is high, in about the early 200s. From what i understand, the ping affects your gaming speeds.

Hi Hayden92,

The nature of radio-based connections means that they are prone to higher latency and packet loss than a fixed-line based connection - however, a ping of 200ms is actually very reasonable. As a general rule, anything less than 300 is comparable to fixed-line internet and shouldn't cause you too many problems.

Jon

eForum Team

Chibsatron
hi there

when my dongle has worked, i've played played Cod 4 on Ps3 via ICS with good results
as long as you get a fairly strong 3G+ signal your ping times should stay sub 300ms which is very playable.

only probs i've had is connecting to my friends in a private lobby etc.... but that's due to Vodafone's NAT'd network set-up confusing things.