Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Internet/laptop Security

westhamunitedfc
4: Newbie
When I purchased my mobile broadband USB stick, one of the vodafone advisors told me that the norton security packages isn't a good programme to use with the USB stick as they wont work together well. Has anyone ever had this problem? What other security packages would be a good choice without affecting the USB
10 REPLIES 10

studz89
When I purchased my mobile broadband USB stick, one of the vodafone advisors told me that the norton security packages isn't a good programme to use with the USB stick as they wont work together well. Has anyone ever had this problem? What other security packages would be a good choice without affecting the USB

i use norton and i never had any problems.

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
I dislike Norton, but, I've no reason to believe that it would cause any particular problems with the USB modem.

I'd probably go for:

Anti-virus: either AVG (free, from Grisoft), or avast! (also free)
Anti-spyware: Spybot S&D
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Personal edition

(However, I don't use Windows very much, so these might no longer be good recommendations.)
Neil

vodabusiness
I dislike Norton, but, I've no reason to believe that it would cause any particular problems with the USB modem.

I'd probably go for:

Anti-virus: either AVG (free, from Grisoft), or avast! (also free)
Anti-spyware: Spybot S&D
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Personal edition

(However, I don't use Windows very much, so these might no longer be good recommendations.)

Norton is a mixed bag. You see here are examples of people having no issues but then there are loads who do experience issues that Norton is at the root of.
Some of it comes from experience and understanding what implications certain settings will have and setting accordingly to your requirements, then there is the full whack instant install absolutely everything and pin your PC down so you can't do anything. The same applies to most AV packages, certainly the ones you pay some cash for, the free ones seem to be a little less in yer face and certainly won't be as harsh.
Watch for script blocking capabilities in AV, it will most likely be the cause of most interuptions to the setup of a USB modem as it stops the Active X script to stop them doing what they need for these to work.
Also, the modem will be seen as something associated with modems and connectivity, certainly the very thing AV & Firewall software wants to clamp for security purposes.
Linked to that is what is commonly seen with greyed out Connect buttons or not being able to display pages until you adjust some settings.
Add to all this the many different variations of each line of named AV and it's difficult to say what issue it may cause. Then again, you may be OK.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Haydn92,

As Vodabusiness states, there have been some known issues with certain versions of Norton in the past (most noteably the corporate package) where they are a bit overzealous and block our software from accessing the internet. The personal versions of this product usually warn you before blocking such things, giving you the option to "Allow" the program access to the internet, which should get around any potential issues.

It's very much down to personal choice however, so I can't steer you away from Norton specifically - just know that your mileage may vary :)

Jon

eForum Team

westhamunitedfc
Hi Haydn92,

As Vodabusiness states, there have been some known issues with certain versions of Norton in the past (most noteably the corporate package) where they are a bit overzealous and block our software from accessing the internet. The personal versions of this product usually warn you before blocking such things, giving you the option to "Allow" the program access to the internet, which should get around any potential issues.

It's very much down to personal choice however, so I can't steer you away from Norton specifically - just know that your mileage may vary :)

Jon

eForum Team

Thanks for the advice. Would there be any you can suggest though that havent had any reported problems?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Haydn92,

I think the best one to use would be AVG free edition.

Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

Robert_Isaac
6: Helper
6: Helper
Hi Haydn92,

I think the best one to use would be AVG free edition.

Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Cheers,

LeeH
eForum Team

I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on all my computers. I have used Norton and Macafee in the past and never again.

Bob

westhamunitedfc
Well, I have tried 4 security packages:
Norton 360
McAfee
AVG
Kaspersky
For me, 50% of these work. I wouldnt recommend norton 360 or McAfee, but AVG and Kaspersky seem the best ones to use

cjm1979
Well, I have tried 4 security packages:
Norton 360
McAfee
AVG
Kaspersky
For me, 50% of these work. I wouldnt recommend norton 360 or McAfee, but AVG and Kaspersky seem the best ones to use

At the moment there is a problem with Kaspersky and Vodafone. It cant update through Vodafone and this as been the case for both of my pc's since around the 13th of april and as not been resolved yet. Its costing me a fortune to put a payg sim in my mobile and tether it to my laptop to update and Kaspersky say they are having quite a few reports on this. This isnt a Kaspersky problem and apart from this i think the program is really good. See HERE
I would always use a decent paid for internet security package and supplement this with a free additional anti-spyware program like spybot search and destroy or adaware.