Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3565 Usb Dongle Payg Error 633

helpneeded
Not applicable
Hi,

Yesterday I purchased a 'pay as you go' Vodafone USB dongle for mobile internet for my notebook.
I was excited about this product as it would fulfill a problem area in my mobile needs.

After purchasing I installed the Vodafone mobile connect software to my laptop straight from the USB dongle.
The dongle LED flashed correctly. And the software found the device and showed a good signal.
However when trying to connect came up with a box:
"Mobile connection not possible
-Set your current mobile device as the default device in the Manage Devices view
-Ensure that no other programs are using you mobile device and try again in a short while
-Delete the device in Manage Devices, add it back again and then try connecting
If the error persists, please contact support at your mobile network operator
Support Information
RAS error code 633"

I tried what it recommended on the error code, but in the Manage Devices menu on Vodafone mobile connect it will not allow you to do any of the recommendations.
I also tried in the main Windows device manager, deleting the device, re-adding etc.

I unistalled the sofware and re-installed. Same error.
I then contacted Vodafone technical support between 16:00 and 17:30. Who got me to delete the software and re-install off my USB dongle. Same error.
And then downloaded the latest sofware from the website. Same error.
I then rang Vodafone technical support again later on Sat evening, who again got me to reinstall the software.
I rang again this morning and the same. Re-install the software.

Help.....Its driving me batty..lol..........And Im batty enough.... :wacko:

Im sure the dongle is okay and it seems to be a set up software issue. Or Windows conflict.

I am using:

HP Pavilion tx2500 notebook
Microsoft Windows Vista Version 6 Service Pack 1 32-bit
USB Dongle K3565
Vodafone Mobile Connect Version 9.3.6.12095

I really would like to get this resolved rather than not have the Vodafone mobile ability.

I have attached a picture of the error

Thanks in advance for any help!!

5 REPLIES 5

richie1913
4: Newbie
As you now know this error occurs because windows has already connected with your modem or in other words your modem is in use already,I am a xp user so dont know much about vista but if this was happening to me i would instead of trying to connect by the vodafone software try just opening your browser to see if you are connected or goto start connect to then right click on the vodafone connection to see if it is connected or not(xp version).You dont need to connect to the vodafone software to top up or check balance you just need it open.By the looks of your screenshot you are using gprs which is what it is set to on default to change to 3g(much faster) open up your vodafone software,dont connect and goto manage devices highlight your device then click on edit change it to 3g only then next time you connect you will be on 3g.If for some reason you cant find a signal on 3g then just repeat them steps and put it back on 3g preferred or gprs preferred.Placement of your dongle is very important treat it like a tv aeriel to get the best signal for example I cant get a 3g signal downstairs but upstairs I get a very good 3g signal.As a last check remeber this is on xp I would goto control panel and then internet options under connections tab there are some options make sure you have the vodafone connection as your default device and have it set to never dial a connection that way when you start up your computer it should not automaticly connect you and you should be able to connect through the vodafone software.Hope you get running soon
Richard

RetiredTom
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi helpneeded,

That's a peculiar thing to happen on first use!

Can you make sure you've got any other networking equipment or software disabled? It really sounds like something else is using the modem or port.

Alternatively, if you could test the modem on another computer that would narrow it down to a PC or modem issue. Also, try the 10 troubleshooting steps in the first post in this thread :)

Tom

eForum Team

helpneeded
Not applicable
Richard - Thanks for the pointers that gave me some avenues to look down (in particular in the control panel and network connections). But unfornuately I still have the error 633.

Tom - Thanks for the fault finding info.

I went through all devices in control panel/ device manager and disabled all Wifi, lan network and other in built modems.
But still the error.
I tried in Firefox and explorer.

I tried the 10 trouble shooting steps you mentioned and still the error.

I then went hunting for colleagues with laptops to try the dongle on. I tried it on two seperate laptops.

1st Laptop test:
HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PL. Bought in Oct
Windows Vista 6. Service Pack 1. 32 bit.
(This is a very similar set up to mine)

Software loaded ok. Dongle flashed correctly. Software found dongle device. Got a signal. When tried to connect:
We got an error code 678 (different to mine)

But the same text ie:
"Mobile connection not possible
-Set your current mobile device as the default device in the Manage Devices view
-Ensure that no other programs are using you mobile device and try again in a short while
-Delete the device in Manage Devices, add it back again and then try connecting
If the error persists, please contact support at your mobile network operator
Support Information
RAS error code 678"

Please see attached picture of the: 1st laptop vodafone error.jpg

2nd Laptop test:
Dell XPS M1530 (only 2 months old)
Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 2007. 32 bit.
firefox

Put the dongle in. Loaded the software on the dongle. Found the device. Signal. Connect. Hey Presto. It works. Connects and on the internet. Easy.

Please see attached picture: 2nd laptop vodafone connects.jpg

What do you make of that? :huh:
Is it the common dinominator of the HP or the Windows Vista?
Is there anything special on the HPs that would cause it not to work?
Is there something in the HP set up (wherever that is) not on Windows etc etc.

Im no wiz kid. So all help is much appreciated. Like I have said before I would really like to get this to work. Thanks in advance.

richie1913
4: Newbie
Still no joy then,did you notice anything different on the laptop that worked for instance did you check the settings that were created for the vodafone dial up connection and compare them to yours,did it have different antivirus software installed as norton can cause problems.
Maybe try uninstalling everything to do with vodafone and start again.When you have uninstalled everything make sure all your wireless connections and lans are disabled and also try disabling your firewall and antivirus,plug the dongle in and install again try connecting just to see if it will,if it does then turn on your firewall and antivirus and try again.If that still does not work i would go back to your colleagues laptop and pin down anything that could be causing your issues.
Richard

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Helpneeded,

Sadly, it seems to be one of those problems caused by one or a sum of variables. As no two PC's are the same (from Windows versions, their Service Packs, the network drivers, right down the manufacturers of motherboard components), it can be on occasion impossible to diagnose the problem and suggest a solution.

This said, here are a few ideas you could explore:

- Try disabling firewalls
- Plug the modem in 'from boot'
- Download and install the full Vodafone Mobile Connect suite, ammending the APN details with pp.internet.co.uk, username & password as web & web.
- Try connecting via the Start > Connect to > VMC option

Let us know how you get on!

Daz

eForum Team
-