Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

K3760 Gprs Only

DuckFeet
Not applicable
Hi

First post so hopefully not a re-post. I've had a search about and not found anything about this yet.

In short, is the aerial really poor on the K3760? I can only get GPRS.

More detail:
I have repeatedly only got a GPRS connection but my mobile (HTC Touch Cruise) shows, and connects to 3G/HSDPA. This is when using it indoors in a 3G area so i expect to take a hit on the signal strength, but not when other devices can get a much faster connection. Also side by side tests with the express card show that the express card out performs the Dongle too.

I just tried the firmware upgrade, no change. I presume that with the device being relatively small there is a lot less room for the aerial. Is there any thing that can be done about this without buying aerial boosters? For some users we cannot use the express cards due to incompatibility with their laptops.

Thanks in advance, if this is a repost I'll happily follow a link if someone is kind enough to post one for me.

DF
5 REPLIES 5

DuckFeet
Not applicable
Update on this, sometimes if I leave it idling for 20 minutes it starts to flash blue, and connects to 3G.
I can tell it to connect to 3G from view > available connections. This is not convenient as I want to use a modem dial up conncetion to log into windows via dial up.

Is there anyway to force this 3G connection through windows?

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there DuckFeet,

Great name!! Thanks for the post and mostly, a warm welcome to the forum.

I have done a check on the signal in the area for the postcode that is used in your profile, and can tell you that you should be achieving excellent coverage of 3g in your area. (I take it this is the postcode you are having trouble at?)

The site in that area is also working perfectly in the last 15 minutes, with no reported faulty connections at all, so there is good news at least.

If you are able to see that the express card is outperforming the dongle, then if you could do me a favour and post back the results when you switch SIM cards between the two devices. If the express card is still outperforming, then it is something to do with the dongle. If you could let me know either way, that would be fab.

Finally, if you would like to try a dial up connection, then turn the laptop on while the dongle is in the laptop, click start, network connections, Vodafone, then connect and let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

LeeH

eForum Team

DuckFeet
Not applicable
Glad you like the name, and thanks for the response. Can't beat yours though, being named after TWO members of Steps :P (sorry).

Yeah it should be good signal, my phone consistently shows HSDPA. This is at the postcode in my profile. (I also get 3G at home where your coverage map shows it as 2G only :P its a bit varied there though).

I can usually connect by 3G if I force it as described, and this remains at 3G even after a reboot, however every time I disconnect the modem it reverts back to 2G until I manually reselect 3G. Can you tell what is going on when I manually choose a network within VMC so I might be able to get this in a modem connection in windows? I can then use this to log on via dial-up connection without having to log into windows, force 3G connection, and log back out again. Logon by GPRS takes 8 minutes!

I am trying to get hold of some trial devices to do some more tests, I can post the info when i get it. I have some test machines so I should be able to do simultaneous side by side tests. That's goign slightly off topic though, my focus is on the USB modems for now.

I didn't say I was using a laptop! :Smug Face:

I am using 9.3.3 without optimisation software if that's relevant.

DF, Quack-quack.

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there DuckFeet,

If you're happy to try some tests, then more power to you! :P

If there is indeed a fault with any of them (well, the K3760 in particular) do let us know your results and we can follow the Vodafone Repairs process to get it fixed!

Can you try the modem with an extension cable to distance itself from the body of the laptop?

In terms of selecting a network, this is set by the VMC, communicating to the modem. By default (without a software suite dictating alteration), the speed is set to Dual Mode (2G and 3G).

If you can let us know, plus any further details you discover, this will help us get a clearer understanding of what's going on!

Daz

eForum Team

edmund.nash
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
In short, is the aerial really poor on the K3760? I can only get GPRS.

Agreed, this is my experience.  See if Vodafone will swap it for a Cardbus device.