Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Microsd For Modem Stick

Patricia Beadle
Not applicable
It says on your website that the USB Modem Stick can also be used to transfer files from one PC to another. Something I thought was very useful but nowhere can I find any instructions as to how I go about doing this.

I assume I have to buy a microDS card?
If so Where from?
Which one? Looking on Ebay there seems to be several for mobile phones but no mention of Modem Sticks?
And having bought it how do I use it? When I plug the stick into my PC or laptop how will it know I want to transfer files and not connect to the internet?

Oh, and how much do they cost?
7 REPLIES 7

timfg
4: Newbie
It says on your website that the USB Modem Stick can also be used to transfer files from one PC to another. Something I thought was very useful but nowhere can I find any instructions as to how I go about doing this.

If so Where from?
Which one? Looking on Ebay there seems to be several for mobile phones but no mention of Modem Sticks?
And having bought it how do I use it? When I plug the stick into my PC or laptop how will it know I want to transfer files and not connect to the internet?

A micro SD card is a micro SD card - it doesn't matter what it's badged as 'for' - any will do. Personally I'd stick to established brands, like Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar - see here on eBuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=micro+sd&x=0&y=0

About £5-6 for a 2GB.

I don't think the PC will 'know' what you want to do, it'll just offer more than one capability - when you plug it in it will offer up its services for mobile broadband as usual - but will also appear as an additional drive in Windows Explorer to which you can drag files. Personally I'm not sure that it's very useful, since to transfer files you have to take it out, thus breaking any internet connection you have: I'd rather use a separate USB stick, which will cost much the same.

Patricia Beadle
Not applicable
A micro SD card is a micro SD card - it doesn't matter what it's badged as 'for' - any will do. Personally I'd stick to established brands, like Kingston, Sandisk, Lexar - see here on eBuyer:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=micro+sd&x=0&y=0

About £5-6 for a 2GB.

I don't think the PC will 'know' what you want to do, it'll just offer more than one capability - when you plug it in it will offer up its services for mobile broadband as usual - but will also appear as an additional drive in Windows Explorer to which you can drag files. Personally I'm not sure that it's very useful, since to transfer files you have to take it out, thus breaking any internet connection you have: I'd rather use a separate USB stick, which will cost much the same.

Patricia Beadle
Not applicable
Oops! I am sorry about that timfg. I don't know what happened there. It sent the quote without my reply thanking you for your help.

I will have a look on Ebuyer to see what they have.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

If so Where from?

Hi Patricia123,

Any Micro SD card will do, but if you want to make sure, you can buy some direct from our Online Store :)

When you plug in the modem, you will notice that there will also be an extra drive appear under "My Computer" in Windows. Here you can access the contents of your Micro SD card, just as you would any other drive on your PC. Simply drag and drop files to this new drive, and they will be carried around with you on your USB Stick :)

Jon

eForum Team

Patricia Beadle
Not applicable
Thankyou Jon, I have had a look on the Online Store and they do seem rather expensive so I think I will make do with my Flying Drive ( the same thing but in the shape of a ladybird) for the time being.

Do you think the powers that be could make it a bit clearer for people, like me, who are not really "into" mobile phones that the Micro SD cards are also suitable for a modem stick?

Many thanks for your help

Pat

Retired-MattJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there Pat,

Thanks for your reply to jon’s post,

I will happily feed this back into something called Voice of the customer; this means that your suggestion will be read by the company.

If you need us for anything else Pat, you know where we are and we are always happy to help.

Cheers

Matt
eForum Team

Patricia Beadle
Not applicable
Thank you Matt, It is nice to know my suggestion has been taken on board.

Pat