Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband Connection Issues

onlinewilly1963
Not applicable
Hello,

For the last month my 3G+ connection keeps grinding to a halt when I am browsing the internet.

When I first make a connection everything is fine and if I am quickly going from one web page to another or downloading something there is still no problem.

However, if I am not downloading or leave the computer alone for a minute, then when I try to connect to another web page nothing happens. The VMC Lite window still says I am connected to "Vodafone UK 3G+" but the Kbps counters just flicker and stay on 0.

If I disconnect and then connect again or switch to 2G and back to 3G it usually comes back to life until I leave it again.

The same problem does not occur if I use the 2G connection but this is too slow.

I have a Huawei E-220 USB modem, my postcode is DT4 9PY and I get a 3 bar signal for 3G+. For the last 6 months I have been getting varying speeds at all times of day but before that I could only download stuff in the middle of the night and browsing was painfully slow during the day.

I have tried deleting and reloading the VMC Lite software (V3.2.1.156) from the USB modem but this has not helped. Would it be worth trying the other software?

Can you let me know if there is a problem with the transmitters or if there could be a fault with my USB modem?
47 REPLIES 47

TrippyHippy
Not applicable
Good Evening Trippy Hippy (love the name by the way!)

Just wanted to let you know we are monitoring this thread closely as quite a few of you are experiencing very similar problems and we have reported this issue.

Please let us know either way if it resolves the issue or not, it will be a huge help! :)

Let me know if there is anything else in the meantime.

Kay
eForum Team

Hello Kay,

In the 24 hours i have been using the B970 router i have not experienced the problem, yet in the previous 24 hours using the E172 stick it occurred 4 times. For your information my location postcode is MK43 9AD

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey trippyhippy,

I've checked your coverage and all appears well for 2G and 3G :huh:

Can I ask if you've tried refreshing your SIM to our network? This can be easily accomplished by selecting another network (or network band) and then back to your chosen one. For instance, use the VMC to select onto another service provider, then back onto our 2G or 3G band.

This should update your SIM to the local mast GPRS node - this may well do the trick. If it fails, can you let me know and include any extra details so I can get in touch with you via email to look at detailed readings from your data number.

If you haven't already, I recommend the latest VMC Suite for Windows - it provides a much more stable application for connection if you're suffering connection problems.

Daz

eForum Team

samsmith60
Not applicable
Hello all,
I am too experiencing these exact problems! It all started just after Christmas, after 5 months of working perfectly. When I rang voda help on 191 they told me it was my computer causing the problems because of windows automatic updates - which I have since turned off and uninstalled all updates since I got the dongle! (PERHAPS RISKING THE SAFETY OF MY LAPTOP!)

This helped for a few weeks, but has again cropped up again. I have had to disconnect and reconnect 6 times in an hour this morning to get to post this! Ridiculous!
I live in DT6 3LX and have tried using the dongle in many areas with different postcodes and still have the problems!! I was also advised to install the latest version of the VMC software - which I did - still no change! In addition to inserting my VMC SIM into a 3g phone and browsing the net for a bit and then reinserting it into the VMC and reconnecting - helped for a small while, then back to its old tricks!!

This session of rubbish service has been since 5th March.
It really does need sorting out, my contract is up soon and I shall not be bothering to renew it as I feel the service is not being delivered! I am currently doing a degree as distance learning over the net and really need my internet - a deadline two nights ago nearly got missed because it took me 10 attempts to submit the work in between the vodaphone service disappearing!
SO FRUSTRATING!

There are so many threads on this e-forum regarding these issues – some examples:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16618

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...15512&st=20

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16029

Please please please just sort it out, or O2 here I come!

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Sam,

I have already emailed you about this issue, based on your previous post in another thread.
There is a fault in your area which we'll need to raise :)

Jon

eForum Team

Lump
4: Newbie
Hello all,
I am too experiencing these exact problems! It all started just after Christmas, after 5 months of working perfectly. When I rang voda help on 191 they told me it was my computer causing the problems because of windows automatic updates - which I have since turned off and uninstalled all updates since I got the dongle! (PERHAPS RISKING THE SAFETY OF MY LAPTOP!)

This helped for a few weeks, but has again cropped up again. I have had to disconnect and reconnect 6 times in an hour this morning to get to post this! Ridiculous!
I live in DT6 3LX and have tried using the dongle in many areas with different postcodes and still have the problems!! I was also advised to install the latest version of the VMC software - which I did - still no change! In addition to inserting my VMC SIM into a 3g phone and browsing the net for a bit and then reinserting it into the VMC and reconnecting - helped for a small while, then back to its old tricks!!

This session of rubbish service has been since 5th March.
It really does need sorting out, my contract is up soon and I shall not be bothering to renew it as I feel the service is not being delivered! I am currently doing a degree as distance learning over the net and really need my internet - a deadline two nights ago nearly got missed because it took me 10 attempts to submit the work in between the vodaphone service disappearing!
SO FRUSTRATING!

There are so many threads on this e-forum regarding these issues – some examples:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16618

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?show...15512&st=20

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16029

Please please please just sort it out, or O2 here I come!

Hello Sam,

When connected try opening a command window and type :

ping www.google.com -t

Press enter and leave the window open.

This work around may help until Vod sorts the underlying issue.

Regards,

Lump.

onlinewilly1963
Not applicable
What's happening with my connection problems. I've heard nothing lately and the disconnections keep happening, coupled with difficulty trying to connect in the first instance. I feel it is time to seek a termination of my contract as Vodafone seem unable to supply an advertisd service.

Al.

samsmith60
Not applicable
What's happening with my connection problems. I've heard nothing lately and the disconnections keep happening, coupled with difficulty trying to connect in the first instance. I feel it is time to seek a termination of my contract as Vodafone seem unable to supply an advertisd service.

Al.

I'm seconding that, I have had three emails telling me my 3G service was faulty and it would be repanried in a couple of days. A couple of weeks later, when I phoned customer services they tried to get me to do all the taking my sim out and putting it in my phone rubbish that Ive been told to do countless times - all resulting in no improvement!
This is just not acceptable!

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
I'm seconding that, I have had three emails telling me my 3G service was faulty and it would be repanried in a couple of days. A couple of weeks later, when I phoned customer services they tried to get me to do all the taking my sim out and putting it in my phone rubbish that Ive been told to do countless times - all resulting in no improvement!
This is just not acceptable!

Hi Both,

I appreciate how frustrating this is for you two.

Have you both got any sort of reference number for any faults that you have had raised via ourselves?

This way we can check the status of this fault and update you accordingly.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

samsmith60
Not applicable
Hi Both,

I appreciate how frustrating this is for you two.

Have you both got any sort of reference number for any faults that you have had raised via ourselves?

This way we can check the status of this fault and update you accordingly.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hello,
Here is my tracking number for an e-mail response I received: 7051330

Sam

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Sam

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've taken a look into this for you and the 3G service on this site seems wot be working correctly again. Could you confirm that this is still an issue?

I've also had a look at the General 3G coverage for your postcode and can confirm that it is very patchy so you will struggle to get a solid 3G connection indoors.

Let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team