Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband Slow

LucianoP
Not applicable
Hi - I am getting slow connection speeds with my Pay As You Go USB mobile broadband. My postcode is SW16 5LW - I think coverage in my area shouldn't be a problem. Quite often I only have 1 bar for signal strength and the connection speeds seem to constantly vary and are always slow - barely any better than dial-up.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there anything I can do to check that the USB stick / software is all working correctly?
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
have you tried connecting at another location?

Nice

Retired-David_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi LucianoP,

The good news is that I have checked your location on our coverage checker and there is a excellent 3G broadband signal so you shouldn’t have any issues with connecting with a good quality signal. I can understand your frustration that you are getting a slower than normal connection, in order to try and resolve this issue for you it would be great if you could check the following things and post back so we can get a better idea of where this issue is occurring and how we can get this rectified.

1. Do you normally get a good connection speed in your current location?
2. Are you running any other applications on your computer? (Such as Windows update)
3. Disconnect the mobile connect software, close any running programs including your internet browser, reconnect the mobile connect software. What are the uplink/downlink counters showing?

Also what mr nice has suggested may be worth a try, you could try different areas of the house, I know this may seem slightly strange but I get a better signal upstairs in my house than I do downstairs.

Thanks B-)

David
eForum Team

LucianoP
Not applicable
Hi LucianoP,

The good news is that I have checked your location on our coverage checker and there is a excellent 3G broadband signal so you shouldn’t have any issues with connecting with a good quality signal. I can understand your frustration that you are getting a slower than normal connection, in order to try and resolve this issue for you it would be great if you could check the following things and post back so we can get a better idea of where this issue is occurring and how we can get this rectified.

1. Do you normally get a good connection speed in your current location?
2. Are you running any other applications on your computer? (Such as Windows update)
3. Disconnect the mobile connect software, close any running programs including your internet browser, reconnect the mobile connect software. What are the uplink/downlink counters showing?

Also what mr nice has suggested may be worth a try, you could try different areas of the house, I know this may seem slightly strange but I get a better signal upstairs in my house than I do downstairs.

Thanks B-)

David
eForum Team

Hi - in answer to your questions:-

1. I'm a new user.
2. No other applications running.
3. After following your instructions, the connection window was showing connection to 3G+ with one (sometimes 2 bars) of signal strength. The counters rapidly change and the numbers constantly vary. So, for example, they will show 2.6 and 1.5 then suddenly change to 477 and 530 then again to 13.2 and 12.8 etc etc. The numbers are constantly changing and fluctuating wildly. Is that normal?

In terms of trying in a different location, I am in a very small flat and the options are limited. As you've said, my post-code indicates that I am in an excellent area for coverage. We have 2 mobile handsets - O2 and Orange - both of which always receive full strength signal.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi - in answer to your questions:-

1. I'm a new user.
2. No other applications running.
3. After following your instructions, the connection window was showing connection to 3G+ with one (sometimes 2 bars) of signal strength. The counters rapidly change and the numbers constantly vary. So, for example, they will show 2.6 and 1.5 then suddenly change to 477 and 530 then again to 13.2 and 12.8 etc etc. The numbers are constantly changing and fluctuating wildly. Is that normal?

In terms of trying in a different location, I am in a very small flat and the options are limited. As you've said, my post-code indicates that I am in an excellent area for coverage. We have 2 mobile handsets - O2 and Orange - both of which always receive full strength signal.

Hi LucianoP,

It is normal for the numbers to change, as they are giving you a real-time indication of how much data is coming and going through your connection. If you're not downloading anything, then the numbers will sit on zero - but as soon as you visit a website or donwload a file, the numbers will increase.

The best way to get an accurate measure of your connection speed is by using a third-party Speed Test tool like this one.

We usually require at least three bars of signal in order to get a stable connection, which may explain why you're finding the speeds intermittent. Since there should be reasonable coverage in your area, it sounds like it could be the construction materials used in your flat which might be dimming our signal, such as steel supports or copper wiring. If you're getting good signal with other providers, this could be due to their masts being situated closer than ours, and therefore cancelling out the effects.

The only real way to know for sure would be to try connecting in a different area, say a few blocks down the road.

I hope this helps :)

Jon

eForum Team

getti
4: Newbie
Hi LucianoP,

It is normal for the numbers to change, as they are giving you a real-time indication of how much data is coming and going through your connection. If you're not downloading anything, then the numbers will sit on zero - but as soon as you visit a website or donwload a file, the numbers will increase.

The best way to get an accurate measure of your connection speed is by using a third-party Speed Test tool like this one.

We usually require at least three bars of signal in order to get a stable connection, which may explain why you're finding the speeds intermittent. Since there should be reasonable coverage in your area, it sounds like it could be the construction materials used in your flat which might be dimming our signal, such as steel supports or copper wiring. If you're getting good signal with other providers, this could be due to their masts being situated closer than ours, and therefore cancelling out the effects.

The only real way to know for sure would be to try connecting in a different area, say a few blocks down the road.

Jon

eForum Team

It is no secret i have had issues with Vodafone, but with the helpful EForum team im still on the red team and took out a new black USB modem on the 30 day small business 5gb for £21 deal.

Getting full HSDPA here at home i have been connecting at between 2.5 and 3.0mb/s so am VERY pleased as my local mast will only be a 3.6 one i think.

LucianoP
Not applicable
Hi,

I have followed your suggestions.

In my flat in SW16 5LW, I tried all over the flat and also out in the garden (away from the building). The signal strength never exceeds 2 bars and is mostly on 1 bar.

I have also tried in my house - postcode BS16 7AP (upstairs/downstairs/outside). It's a similar story there as well. The signal strength is 1 bar sometimes 2 bars.

Both of these postcodes are supposed to be in excellent 3G+ coverage areas. Shouldn't I be receiving full signal strength and experiencing proper broadband speeds? The speeds that I experience seem barely faster than dial-up. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi LucianoP,

Jon

eForum Team

Retired-MattJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi there LucianoP,

I have looked into both post codes for you and I cant see any reason as to why you would be getting reduced speeds, because of this I would imagine your doing everything right.

Can you do a couple of sporadic checks throughout the day, just checking the speeds and let us know how you get on please?

Thanks

Matt
eForum Team

LucianoP
Not applicable
Hi there LucianoP,

I have looked into both post codes for you and I cant see any reason as to why you would be getting reduced speeds, because of this I would imagine your doing everything right.

Can you do a couple of sporadic checks throughout the day, just checking the speeds and let us know how you get on please?

Thanks

Matt
eForum Team

Hi - in the Connect window, the counters are constantly changing. So, for example, they will show 2.6 and 1.5 then suddenly change to 40 and 50 then again to 13.2 and 12.8 etc etc. The numbers change like this many times per second. The number are usually low... mostly under 50. Is that normal? What sort of figures should I be seeing? Should they constanly change so much?

Retired-Claire_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi LucianoP

I am sorry to hear that this is an ongoing issue.

To be honest the speed you would be getting would be variable, we can only advise you of the available coverage in your area.

The maximum connection speed we would expect you to receive would be reduced by other users and the time of the day, when more users are online. As MattC has confirmed previously, we expect that you are doing everything right.

3G coverage (solid 3G blue lights) is subject to 'shrinkage' and the more users who are online, then you may experience slower connection speeds and then the coverage for 3G drops off and you then will be running on GPRS (green lights).

apologies, I couldnt be the bearer of better news.

Claire

eforum Team