Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband

Fenmoor
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just joined. I can't get a straight answer out of Vodafone (but there again I can't get one out of BT either). I am moving to a rural area in November. The house doesn't have a landline and even if it did BT inform me that the best broadband they can offer is 1-2.5 mbps. I'm currently on BT Infinity 2 fibre broadband. So I'm trying to find out about mobile broadband because we seem to have a good 4g signal at the new place. What I need is a decent speed (not necessarily fibre speed) and a large data allowance. I need to be able to connect a desktop, a laptop and mobile phones/tablets. Does anyone know whether Vodafone can meet my needs? Also, the 4g signal is ok outdoors but I don't know what it's like indoors. If it isn't very good is there any way of boosting the signal to the hub/router?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I'd suggest to pick up a relatively inexpensive payg dongle on Vodafone and test it. 

The possible downside is the usage you've mentioned can be heavy and as such a data allowance could be used up pretty rapidly. 

To add I use this from Ofcom > ofcom-checker.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Good idea. I upload a lot of photos so any data allowance will be eaten up very quickly. Beginning to think that mobile broadband isn't going to work for me.

50GB a month is enough for me with a bit of care. I download a bit of tv and movies for that as well  as general diddling about and YouTube etc.  If there was a fibre option I would take it, but this is good for now. I keep an eye on the usage and ration it as best I can. Plus I fill up the iplayer at work off their free Wi-Fi.

Twonko
4: Newbie

I use a 4G router for home broadband (I live temporarily in the middle of nowhere but near an airfield with a 4g mast).

I leave the router on a window ledge on the mast side of the house and I get a consistently excellent signal even in dense fog.  I normally have about 5 devices connected simultaneously and get a very decent download speed.  I am used to 50MB fibre but this is fine for every day use.  I used it for two months before I signed up for a year.  I now pay £25,50 a month for 50GB.  On a 30 day contract it was £30 a month.  If you do it, make sure you cap the usage, because if you go over your limit, you will have to sell your house and your children to pay Vodafone's stupid charges.  I really really hate Vodafone, but this is a good option.

Thanks for the advice. Lincolnshire by any chance? That's where we are going and it's between RAF Digby and RAF Coningsby so we might get a decent signal.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Fenmoor You can take a look at the 4G signal in your area using our Network Status Checker.
You can find more information and support on our Mobile Broadband devices here.
 If you need any further help, please let us know :Smiling: