Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile broadband K5160 dongle will not connect

mikedefieslife
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I recently recieved a Vodafone K5160 dongle and data sim card. 

I have set up the dongle as required, and can access it's setting page, but I have an issue. 

I have recieved SMS from Vodafone on it, but I can't seem to get it to connect. 

voda2.jpeg

The second issue I have is that I cannot change any of the settings. If I try, the device just presents me with a screen like the one below, like it is just continually loading. 

voda1.jpeg

7 REPLIES 7

AnnS
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @mikedefieslife

You images are not available for public view at the moment, as soon as they are on the forum, it will be easier to understand your problem.

If you have not downloaded the software, before you are able to make a cconnection, this will need to be done.  If you follow the link below, you will be able to follow the software download link.

I’ve just got a new data dongle. How do I get started?

If you are PAYG, you will need to purchase a data bundle, details here: How do I buy a data pack?

Pay monthly, you should only need to make a connection to activate the service.

I'm on a pay monthly package that includes roaming. 

The software was installed according to the instructions, but of course it's on a driver issue, As mentioned I have already received messages via the dongle in the webportal. It's an account or network problem. 

I can see the network Voda 4g, Voda 3g etc.. plenty of green bars indicating a decent signal, but the device just won't connect.

The images suggest you are roaming in Greece. Were you able to set up your dongle and get everything working while you were in the UK, or did you start the set-up process in Greece? If the former, did you get any messages on arrival in Greece which cast any light? The latter causes a lot of problems with phones, or at least with PAYG phones, and I'd think it might be complicated for a dongle too.

Roaming is not an issue. 

The sim works peferectly fine fast data and all when placed in my iPad which I have here with me in Greece. 

So now I'm thinking the account and settings are all fine, and it's either the dongle itself (unlikely) or the supplied software. 

Have you tried the "download the latest software" link in AnnS's first link above? The dongle might have come with an earlier version. 

Yes. The dongle came with VMB version 3. somthing. It contained drivers for the device and was able to recieve SMS but not connect to the network for data. 

I took the simcard out and tested it in myiPad and had an instant connection and fast data. 

I have downloaded the latest version 4.10.24 and it doesn't even see the K5160 or seem to have the right drivers for it. It says "no device"

The vodafone website doesn't show the K6160 as even being supported by the VMB 4.10.24 support seems to end at the K5150 which is stange - http://www.vodafone.com/content/index/what/devices/vmb/osx.html

I'm now at a something of a loss with this. On a different note, aren't Vodafone tech support staff suppose be manning this forum? I'm confused as to the reason it exists if not. 

Got an answer from Vodafone's Twitter team. 

They say that the K5160 is not compatible with my mac. I presume they mean with macOS Sierra and above. 

Odd that this is there flagship dongle and they couldn't be bothered to update thier software. Seems It was last compatible with macOS 10.10

Guess I'll just stick the sim in another usb modem instead.