Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile broadband port forwarding

BigYinUk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is port forwarding turned off by default on a mobile broadband connection?  Only I cannot get my router to forward to any internal ipaddress.

I'm aware that: 

(1) A fixed ip address is recommended for this purpose but I'm using DDNS so it should work.

(2) In order to test this you need to be on another Internet connection. I'm using my old BT broadband connection to test.

(3) Other people who have this router have this working so I'm bewildered that it won't work for me and there are examples in the manual.

I'm just trying to open port 80 for an http connection to one of my internal IPs which is a fairly standard thing to want to do.

The router is a Teltonika RUT950 which uses a standard Linux iptables firewall.

Is there any reason why this shouldn't work with Vodafone 4G?

Regards

1 REPLY 1

JohnJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BigYinUk There's nothing mentioned that it has been turned off, usually this is because the Access Point Name (APN) settings on your device (which dictate what your device will try and connect to) are different from those on your SIM (which dictate what your device and SIM are allowed to connect to).

APN settings are related to your data account type and bundle details as follows:

Pay monthly

• APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
  • Username and password: wap

Pay as you go

• APN: pp.vodafone.co.uk
  • Username and password: wap

If you've having connection problems, please check and amend your device APN settings. Go to ‘Your device’ to find out how to do this.

If you've checked your APN and everything's correct, make sure you've got good coverage. If your settings are correct and you've a good 4G or 3G please let us know.