Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

More 900mB usage issues

bodmino
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

New to the forum, but found previous posting very helpful with respect to my issue.

Having suffered at the hands of BT Broadband at a holiday home in Scotland for many years (£30 pcm for 0.8 mbs speed) I was delighted to find that Vf had installed a tower locally allowing 4g access. My phone indicated great 4g reception.

I bought a TP link 4G LTE wifi router with sim card slot. Then took out a 30 day contract with Vf with 50Gb allowance for £30 pcm.

Everthing installed and working fine. Did a speed test - 35 mbs. Again delighted. Was in the house for 8 days. Wife & daughter requested to limit data usage, no streaming video, no downloading films.

Recieved my first bill a couple of days ago expecting to see £30. No - it was £178.56.

£30 Bundle charges

£25 Line Rental (there was no mention of this when I took out the contract)

£123 'additional charges'

The £123 addtional charge was for going 4.5Gb over the 50Gb limit.

I have looked at the itemised bill. Over several days there was unbelievable data usage of 7 - 8 Gb. Called Vf - of course everything ok. Looked closer at the bill and saw multiple 989mB items,

Two things to do -

1. I have downladed an App called My Data Manager which we will install on all devices (to find out who the culprit is - although I suspect there isn't one other than Vf)

2. The TP Link router has a data manager facility which can be set to switch off once 50Gb is reached.

Frankly I don't believe we have used this amount of data and suspect the problem lies with how Vf are metering the usage. I'm also really angry at the £25 pcm line rental - is this correct?

1 REPLY 1

pipcoo
4: Newbie

Hi, sorry you`re having these problems but you`re not alone !  I`m not sure about the £25 line rental charge but it doesn`t sound right, I have the exact same package as you and have only ever been charged the £30 monthly bundle cost, hopefully one of the mods can explain this further. There is a data cap that can be applied through the my vodafone app although I couldn`t get it to work and had to go through web chat to get it switched on. I can`t understand why the data cap isn`t on by default and have raised this a few times without a satisfactory answer.

I have the same router as you as well (Archer  MR200 ) and found that the data usage facility was a bit hit and miss, it didn`t seem to reset itself at the end of the period so I think it`s better to get the VF data cap applied.