Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

NEVER REPLY TO ADDITIONAL DATA TEXT

45GBin18days
4: Newbie

My daughter received a text on her handset and replied. My monthly bill for her was over £1100. IPhone and vodafone are fully aware that people using WiFi end up on data when handset goes into sleep mode. My name says it all 45gb of excess data charges despite having WiFi available. One Test! ONE text not to me or an email. That text has crippled me financially because vodafone didn't even contact me when the bill was unpaid. First I knew was wheny service was cutoff. So I am expecting this month's bill to again be over £1000. DAYLIGHT ROBBERY.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

You should be able to go into Restictions and disable cellular data and a host of other thing in there. You can password protect any changes so that only you can restore them Of course that would only be of use when you can get you hands on the phone to set up the restrictions.

View solution in original position

36 REPLIES 36

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@45GBin18days wrote:
The inability to edit posts to correct spelling is just another example of vodafones incompetence.

Vodafone's incompetence... really?  So, clicking on options to the right hand side of the post and clicking edit post doesn't exist?

PWIAC

flipdee

I understand that it's not very fair of Vodafone to allow these sort of amounts of money to be run up through data charges.

However I do hope you have taken the offending phone to an expert and been shown exactly how to prevent this from happening?

Technology is not fool proof sadly.

45GBin18days
I have had nochoice but to have vodafone disable cellular data for that handset. This is not ideal because I am paying for 8gb data every month but I can not risk another bill over £1000. I advise anyone with an iPhone to ALWAYS disable data. This severely restricts the handset and hardly qualifies as. Smartphone.

kids

Why was it necessary to ask Vodafone to disable cellular data, were you not able to just toggle the cellulat data button on your iPhone to 'Off' and then back on when you needed it?

45GBin18days
No I do not have the handset it is used by my 14 year old daughter over 200 miles away. Despite her assuring me she had done as I asked data was still being used although at a much reduced level. I don't have the time to check every day on her running total and the phone has managed to use more than 8gb in a single day before.

kids

You should be able to go into Restictions and disable cellular data and a host of other thing in there. You can password protect any changes so that only you can restore them Of course that would only be of use when you can get you hands on the phone to set up the restrictions.

drey_p

45GBin18days - please STOP spamming the boards with your issue.  Do not post outside of this thread please.

As for you issue, have you taken the phone away from your daughter yet?  I'd suggest that you do that, sell the device to pay off the bill and, if you still want her to have a phone, get a £20 PAYG handset that she can use.  That way she will learn some responsibility and realise that her actions have consequences. 

PWIAC

By the sounds of it you are still willing to take the risk the problem may occur again.

If I had a 1100 pound bill I would personally be taking more serious action.

45GBin18days
What part of over 200 miles away do you not understand?

drey_p

@45GBin18days wrote:
What part of over 200 miles away do you not understand?

She could always courier it back to you.  Unless you do something about this, it is going to keep happening. 

PWIAC