cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Netflix Error 139 NFErr_MC_AuthFailure. unable to access Netflix using a VF RS216 via Apple TV box

andycbtn
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Hi guys... I'm hoping someone somewhere has been able to "resolve" this issue. Right...current set up - Huawei/Vodafone Mobile broadband device RS216 + Apple TV box (via Wifi) at new flat. PREVIOUS set up - Plusnet landline based broadband service + Apple TV (via Wifi) at OLD flat. - worked fine by the way ! Currently using a VF mobile b/band device (RS216) as waiting for Plusnet to be transferred to new flat. Can connect via the VF device to everything else - Internet, email, Apple ITunes movies etc - just NOT Netflix using the Apple TV box. Can connect to Netflix using either the app on my IPhone, "casting" from the IPhone or by using a laptop - but NOT with the Apple TV box. Have trawled the internet for answers but all the posts I have read point to each of the companies pointing the blame at the other. Have so far spoken with Vodafone - they say that its Netflix...they are adamant that nothing is being "blocked" Also spoken to Apple - they agree with me that its something to do with the VF mobile router "blocking" the access via the Apple TV box - as it works fine by using the Internet. I work in IT so I'm very thorough & methodical in my approach to "solving" problems like this. I have ruled everything else out & everything so far points to the VF mobile b/band device causing the problem. I believe its blocking the connection specific to the Netflix connection via the Apple TV box The only other reason I have found may be to down to Netflix "geoblocking" VPN connections...especially from large companies that use a specific type of internet connection. This could also be the cause. I will be calling Netflix to check. However, when asking the VF Support Adviser - they were unable to tell me what type of connection the mobile b/band device uses...NOT VERY HELPFUL !! I have spoken to 2 Vodafone Support Advisers via web chat & to be honest they were about as helpful as a chocolate teapot ! As they kept on saying it was a Netflix issue & VF don't support Netflix. This is not a Netflix issue as far as I can see as it worked FINE when using the landline based PLUSNET b/band. So I don't subscribe to that theory... Also this problem as been known about since at least 2011, so Vodafone must surely be aware of this issue... Can anyone out there help with this problem? I'm pulling my hair out !! many thanks Andy
1 REPLY 1

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

My apologies for our delay in response to your post @andycbtn.

I know of one fix for this and it's following troubleshooting steps are: 
- Turn off your Apple device and wait for 30 seconds then turn it back on again.

- Check if the date and time of your device is accurate, go to:
 - Settings 
 - General
 - Date & Time and adjust time either manually or by choosing a time zone.

Please let us know how you get on with these steps.

😊