Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network Search

richlear
Not applicable
Hi - I need a little bit of help please!

I have an IBM Thinkpad Z60T and am using one of the Vodafone USB modems. When I plug it in I get good signal but no connection - it just sits there saying "searching for network". In the same location I get good connection with my phone so I do not think it is location specific. I called Vodafone and a nice lady told me to insert the USB SIM into my phone and do something to the network setup before replacing it. This worked but I cannot remember what it is I had to do.

I mostly use the USB thing when I am overseas if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

rich
1 REPLY 1

Retired-Andrew_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Rich,

First of all, welcome to the eForum. :)

It sounds as though the nice Lady over the phone advised you to perform a Manual Search for the network. As I notice you have a Sony Ericsson C905 (Good choice by the way), I have provided you a step by step guide of how to do this again:

Press "Menu"
Scroll to Settings, press "Select"
Scroll left or right to Connectivity
Scroll to Mobile networks, press "Select"
Scroll to Select network, press "Select"
Select any network other than Vodafone

Once this has been done and it returns to your main screen with no reception, repeat the procedure and on the second time, Select Vodafone.

Once this has been done this will update your network on your BB modem SIM. In all honesty though, you should not have to do this on a regular basis so we might need to look at this closer for you. if the continued dropping of the network continues, we might need to look at replacing the SIM or sending the BB modem away for repair.

As you have go no connection issues with your handset, I very much doubt that it is the network in your local area so i think we can rule that possibility already and the fact that you travel frequently should not make any difference at all to be honest. As you do travel abraod, you might want to check out our new Going abroad Summer promotion as this will save you huge amounts when taking your mobile handset abroad.

Let us know how you go on with that and we will do all we can to assist you. :D

Many thanks

Andy
eForum Team