Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4G on My PAYG SIM

Jonnyboy999
2: Seeker

I Bought a 4G Data Sim for a Router.  I can pick up 3G and 4G signal. However Only 3G will connect.  This works fine. I have asked Chat support 4 Times to investigate I was told by one of the Support assistants that  4G was not active on My profile and it will take 24 hours.  that was three days ago, I tried the Chat agin today and got a very poor response where he advised me to take my Router into the Shop !!  (its not a vodafone product and works fine on 3G)

I have tried the PAYG sim in my iphone 7 and it only goes to 3G. NO 4G.  I have then put my CONTRACT vodaphone SIM into the Same phone, in the same location and it picks up 4G just fine. So I believe it is the SIM that is not allowing 4G.

IHave about had enough now, I have ordered an EE Sim amd if that works I will look to move my Family (Two Children and Wife plus grandparents to EE as this is just rubbish frankly.)

I have read the forums here and can see others with problems with having 4G activated and some who the solution was the number to be disconnected and re-connected.

Any Help appreciated

Regards

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Appreciate your not happy with the current situation. 

May I ask which make and model of device are you using ?

Would it be viable to pick up a new Vodafone SIM card and try that ?

If that works then my advice is to run down the remaining data on the first SIM card and then use the new one. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Jonnyboy999

You don't mention the router you are using only that it's not a Vodafone supported device.  

It makes no difference is you are using PAYG or contract, all SIM cards are capable of making a 4G connection and it's not something that needs to be enabled on the account.

Try your contract iphone SIM in the device, the same way as you have tried the PAYG data SIM in your iphone and see if it connects to 4G, the device may only support 3G.  If the correct data settings and Vodafone software have been installed and the device supports 4G with the service is available in your location, there is no reason for being unable to make a connection.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@Jonnyboy999

Did you find the possible solution described in http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Pay-monthly/Mobile-wifi-r216-only-going-3g/m-p/2564857#M34506

As I understand it, 4G isn't correctly set up on the account, and needs to be removed then re-added. I'm not sure that Live Chat can necessarily do this, and calling CS would be a better option. 

Hi the make of the Router is a TelTonika RU950.

I have tried the PAYG Sim in my Iphone 7  and it does not get a 4G Signal. I pop that SIM out and put in my Vodaphone Contract SIM  and 4G is there.  Makes no Sense to me.  The SIM is working on 3G on the Router and in the Iphone.

I have Tried Webchat CS 4 times now.. and they say they have activated it on my profile and then nothing, I just dont believe them im afraid.  I work in IT, actually for a compnay that provides Vodafone Apps ! so I want to stay, but seriously its just too hard. 

Yes the solution I refer to is that Link, but I cant get CS on webchat to do that !  or in store.

PS this is my second SIM I pickes up another this morning from a vodaphone Store.  No difference. the thing I dont understand is why it works on my contract SIM  but not my PAYG SIM, im stadning inthe same location using the SAME Iphone.

Thanks for Replying as well.

Annie_N

@Jonnyboy999 wrote:

I have Tried Webchat CS 4 times now.. and they say they have activated it on my profile and then nothing, I just dont believe them im afraid.  I work in IT, actually for a company that provides Vodafone Apps ! so I want to stay, but seriously its just too hard. 

No, as I indicated, the Live Chat team may not have the right permissions themselves! A store could probably only do it by phoning in themselves. I think you'll need to call - see Contact Us - if you're using another Vodafone phone, I believe you'll get the opportunity to enter the number that you want to talk about. They need to remove 4G entirely from the profile, then re-add it.

When I first noticed this happening, I thought it must be that some 4G devices hadn't been provisioned for 4G, but that didn't make a great deal of sense. Nor, since all modern Vodafone SIMs are 4G-capable, did it seem to make much sense to suspect the SIM. So that only seemed to leave the account - and it looks as though the process of adding 4G to the account must be the vulnerable point. I think it's largely data SIM accounts, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Orance

Hello, guys. After reading the whole post, we can get solutions to deal with the trouble quickly and safely. Thanks for your nice sharing.