Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No Service On The South Coast

timfg
4: Newbie
I'm on a caravan site in Pagham, at PO21 4NR. I use my top-up 3g stick regularly here (it's my van) and get a consistent 3g connection, albeit only with 2 bars of signal strength.

Since we came down last night, I've had no connection at all - the stick is clearly recognised in the Vodafone Connect software, but I just get the flashing green light and the software reporting 'Searching for Network' indefinitely. Phone number isn't displayed in the software either, although I guess that may be a ramification of the non-connection... Is there an outage here? And where do I find service status generally?

timfg (bluetoothing to his work phone)
8 REPLIES 8

timfg
Right, scrap that: Having left the device trying to connect for a while, I came back to find it reporting that the 'SIM needs to be activated' before it could be used. A long telephone call later established that Vodafone had blocked the device...

This is probably related to having had my credit-card cloned a couple of weeks ago - although I had specifically advised my C/C provider that a top-up to Vodafone for £15 was legit (the subsequent two fraudulent entries were both other mobile top-ups). But I'm not happy at all - because all I can do is leave my details on an answerphone and wait for a callback - on Tuesday.

So Vodafone are quite happy to block my device at any time, 24/7 - but, regardless of whether they have good reason to do so, they can only unblock it during 'normal business hours'...

That stinks, utterly. I paid for a service that is available when I need it, not at the behest and whim of somebody who can deny me it any time and then expect me to wait 3 days before I can even discuss it with someone. I have no issue with Vodafone taking steps 'to protect me', as the guy on the phone put it (although I think he meant 'to protect Vodafone') but they'd better be available to unprotect me as soon as they realise their error...

Very not happy

timfg

DPH
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Your card provider has caused this mix up by sending Vodafone a fraudulent activity report, which they acted upon. I'm sure the administrators will give any help or advice they possibly can to get this resolved for you.

timfg
Your card provider has caused this mix up by sending Vodafone a fraudulent activity report, which they acted upon. I'm sure the administrators will give any help or advice they possibly can to get this resolved for you.

I'm (reasonably) sure that's the case - or it seems very likely at least. But not having anyone available to deal with sorting it until the next working day (ie 3.5 days this weekend) is just rubbish. Internet access has become an essential of everyday life and failing to properly resource the support for its provision is just not on. It might not be Vodafone's fault in this case, but I could just as easily be the subject of an erroneous block by someone who then buggers off for a long weekend, whilst I'm without internet access.

Naturally, Egg's fraud department doesn't work at the weekend either

Retired-Claire_
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi timfg

I can sense your frustration and I understand how annoying this must be however I am unclear as to what you mean by a few points? We are open at the weekend and our Pay As You Talk department work daily 08.00-22.00. You posted at 02.08pm that we have stated we could only unblock the device within office hours, but this was within office opening hours?

I agree, as a result of your card being cloned, then access to Top up using that card would be restricted due to your situation, this would have been done by your card issuer.

You say we have blocked your device? - Im not sure why we would do this or also why when you spoke to us that we couldnt lift the bar on the dongle for you? Being able to apply Top Up from the same card as the one which was cloned is definately something which Egg need to help you with on Tuesday. If you have another card you wish to register in the meantime then we should be able to register that against the dongle and apply some credit for you, once we have unbarred the sim in the dongle for you.

I will pop an email over to you after 6am for you to complete some details for us, if you would be happy for the forum team to investigate this further for you and look into removing the restriction on the sim for you.

Claire

eforum Team

timfg
I can sense your frustration and I understand how annoying this must be however I am unclear as to what you mean by a few points? We are open at the weekend and our Pay As You Talk department work daily 08.00-22.00. You posted at 02.08pm that we have stated we could only unblock the device within office hours, but this was within office opening hours?

I was given a phone number to call and was told to leave my details on their answerphone - and that someone would call back on Tuesday. Which is what I did - and no-one's called back as of yet. The number was 07825 280251, if that helps.

I agree, as a result of your card being cloned, then access to Top up using that card would be restricted due to your situation, this would have been done by your card issuer.

The last legitimate transaction I made on the card was a £15 top up - although there was (and is) some £8 of credit on the stick in any case. Egg have confirmed that the top up was paid to Vodafone as normal, although I couldn't talk to their fraud guys to find out whether there had been any contact with Vodafone or what the nature of it might have been.

You say we have blocked your device? - Im not sure why we would do this or also why when you spoke to us that we couldnt lift the bar on the dongle for you?

Me neither! I'm just repeating what I was told...

Being able to apply Top Up from the same card as the one which was cloned is definately something which Egg need to help you with on Tuesday. If you have another card you wish to register in the meantime then we should be able to register that against the dongle and apply some credit for you, once we have unbarred the sim in the dongle for you.

I don't need to - there should be about £23 credit on the dongle and I'll just register a different card (I had a replacement from Egg within two days of confirming the dodgy activity)

I will pop an email over to you after 6am for you to complete some details for us, if you would be happy for the forum team to investigate this further for you and look into removing the restriction on the sim for you.

Would be delighted if you could - but not seen an email as of yet...

timfg

JD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi timfg

I'm just moderating at the moment but wanted to jump on to say I've just resent the email to you now. Make sure to check your spam box but it should be with you in the next 10 minutes or so.

Cheers

J :)
eForum Team

timfg
Hi timfg

I'm just moderating at the moment but wanted to jump on to say I've just resent the email to you now. Make sure to check your spam box but it should be with you in the next 10 minutes or so.

Cheers

J :)
eForum Team

Yep, got it this time and have responded (it wasn't spamtrapped the first time, so not sure it was sent - but no matter)

timfg

timfg
Yep, got it this time and have responded (it wasn't spamtrapped the first time, so not sure it was sent - but no matter)

timfg

...but have heard nothing since