Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Online Gaming

nettie
Not applicable
Can anyone please tell me why i cannot host or join an online game,(Links 2003),using the Mobile Connect usb stick K3565?This game is permitted in firewall and have never had this problem when using conventional broadband.

It appears i have two IP Addresses;the one i see in IPCHICKEN is 212 etc,when i try to host a game in Links it shows my IP as starting with 10 etc.

Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Nettie,

Our network uses a firewall system called NAT to mask and share the IP addresses we use internally. The 212 address will be your external address - this the one people should be connecting to when you host a game. It looks however like Links is instead picking up our internal address, which starts with 10. It'll be impossible for anyone to connect to this address because it is strictly an internal address and hidden to the outside world.

This would appear to be more of a problem with the way Links 2003 works rather than an issue with our network. Unfortunatley I can't think of a direction solution for this, other than some sort of Zero-Config VPN software like Hamachi.

To use Hamachi, it will need to be installed on all the computers of the people you want to play with, so will obviously only be a decent solution for playing with friends, rather than playing with the public. You basically create a private network with your friends, and while you're logged in to Hamachi, it will act as if you are all on the same local network with their own local IP addresses. You can then quite happily host a LAN game and everyone will be able to connect to everyone else.

Even using normal broadband it's not unusual to have various firewall issues and other such glitches where not everyone can "see" everyone elses PC - using software like this has always worked a treat for me in teh past :)

Jon

eForum Team