cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Outgoing mail not sent - initial investigation - any answers?

prom22
4: Newbie

Over the past couple of months this problem has become more frequent, so I decided to check it out.

I have a Huawei K3520 dongle, Vista, Windows Mail.

When I get the problem, I decided to disconnect from the dongle and use my dial up connection instead.

Then click on Send/Receive and hey presto my emails get sent no problem.

Using telnet (while on dial up) I then connect to my email server (fine) and then use the HELO command,

again response is ok.

When I use telnet via the dongle (with the problem) and use the HELO command, the server has or does

terminate.

So it would seem that my dongle (or Vodafone itself) is either terminating my server connection,

possibly for some reason doing an early timeout - I don't know.....

Does anyone have any ideas???

Is it possible that my mail server is terminating the connection because I am on a dongle?????

3 REPLIES 3

ITworks
4: Newbie

Hi prom22

Which port does your SMTP server uses? Is it port 25? If so check if different ports are available on your SMTP over SSL/TLS connection (port 465 or 567)

How big are emails that you're trying to send? If you're connected to GPRS there could be a timeout issue if emails are big and there is a congestion on the network.

@prom22 wrote:

Is it possible that my mail server is terminating the connection because I am on a dongle?????

It is possible that access to SMTP server is terminated from certain IP ranges, but it's less likely to  happen

Finally if you can sometimes send emails and sometimes not on Vodafone Mobile Broadband Connection, try downloading latest version of VMB software VMB 10.2

HTH

My email account is with madasafish which is now PlusNet, when I do a telnet connection I get:

220 smtp-proxy.plus.net ESMTP Exim Mon, 05 Sep 2011 15:11:33 +0100

Madasafish support told me that they have no other port except 25, but from the message above

it looks like I am being diverted through a proxy port of 220?? I assume this shouldn't matter as my

mail still get sent (usually!).

When I get the fault it doesn't even send my test emails (to another account) which have a Subject

line but no content.

Thanks.

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi prom22.

This is quite a common issue with some SMTP servers, but as long as your incoming mail server is still unique to the account, the SMTP settings can be set differently.

The recommended solution in the past was to use Vodafone.net or 360.com SMTP settings, but these have now been discontinued. You can still use a similar solution, but with a free third party SMTP server, which is explained in this thread.

If you are still encountering issues, or have any further questions, please let me know.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team