Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Payt Dongle And Sms

Mark64
4: Newbie
Hi there

Hoping someone can clarify something for me? I'm using a Vodafone 3G dongle on my laptop (the white Huawei one) and it has automatically installed SMS software which doesn't seem to work. I'm not using a SIM card: I'm just using the dongle to connect to the net.

I've read that the dongles are only set up for data transfer and not SMS and I've read elsewhere that you can receive SMS messages but not send them. So I guess I've got two questions . . .

1 Can you receive SMS messages using the "phone number" on the dongle?

2 If SMS either way doesn't work: why does Vodafone package the software on the dongle in the first place?

Many thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
I'm not using a SIM card: I'm just using the dongle to connect to the net.

I'm not sure how that works, then...? ;)

If you are using a PAYT SIM, then, you can receive SMS, but not send it currently.
Neil

Mark64
I'm not sure how that works, then...? ;)

If you are using a PAYT SIM, then, you can receive SMS, but not send it currently.

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply. I'm just using a pay as you go dongle which connects to the 3G network no problem. I haven't got a SIM card in the dongle at all. I can surf the net etc no problems at all. And that side of it is working a treat.

The SMS software on the other hand . . .

I've tried sending an SMS from my phone (Virgin pay-as-you) to the "phone number" allocated to the dongle. My phone sent the message but nothing appeared on the laptop. When I try to send an SMS from the laptop to my phone it tries sending it and then I get an error message saying "Check your contract, check your phone number etc etc". So, at the moment, I don't appear to be able to send or receive using the SMS software bundled with the dongle.

I've tried changing the settings on the SMS software from default to the number on the dongle and it makes no difference. Just seems odd to me that the dongle has been packaged with a load of software that doesn't work! Or is that just me?

Neil_Brown
I'm just using a pay as you go dongle which connects to the 3G network no problem. I haven't got a SIM card in the dongle at all

If you are on the 3G network, you must have a SIM in the dongle - there is no other way that this could be working.

The setting in the software should be the SMSC, not the number of the account to which the SIM is attached - if you put the SIM from the dongle in a Vodafone handset, and type *#06#, you will be given the number of the SIM.
Neil

Mark64
If you are on the 3G network, you must have a SIM in the dongle - there is no other way that this could be working.

Hi Neil

Sorry, I have to disagree! :lol: Here's what's happening:

My laptop has built-in wi-fi (b&g) which is fine around the house (but it doesn't have the ability to connect to the 3G network).

I start up my laptop and disable the built-in wireless software and plug in the dongle with no SIM card in it whatsoever.

It locates my nearest network (not my home one) and says: "Connecting to Vodafone UK 3G" and off I go: web access, Outlook etc etc.

So far I've used 6p of the £15 preloaded on the dongle and I've been on the net a fair bit.

I want access on the train between the south coast and London on a daily basis: that's why I bought the dongle. Internet access on a USB stick that I can top up when I need to without having to be anywhere near free wi-fi access points.

Once I'm connected the Vodafone software tells me which "phone number" I'm connected on: a number I don't recognise because there's no SIM card in the dongle!

Happy to post screen shots if you want?

Cheers, Mark

Mark64
Hi Neil

Trying to post a screen shot . . . doesn't seem to want to give me a preview though

Mark64
It worked lol

Mark64
This is the SMS side of the software . . .

richie1913
Hi Mark can you explain how this works without a sim card,surerly its the simcard that comes with the £15 on it not the dongle?The dongle does not have a phone number the simcard does.My head hurts now :blink: Confused...

Neil_Brown
Sorry, but, until we resolve the fundamental problem (namely, that there IS a SIM in that dongle, since neither soft, nor onboard, SIMs are available), there's no much further we can go.

If you have no SIM in the dongle, it will not work - period.

Have you taken the cap off the dongle, and slid out the little white metal SIM tray? Or, if it's the dongle with the retractable USB head, slid off the panel at the rear of the dongle, and the SIM from its tray?
Neil