Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Payt Dongle And Sms

Mark64
4: Newbie
Hi there

Hoping someone can clarify something for me? I'm using a Vodafone 3G dongle on my laptop (the white Huawei one) and it has automatically installed SMS software which doesn't seem to work. I'm not using a SIM card: I'm just using the dongle to connect to the net.

I've read that the dongles are only set up for data transfer and not SMS and I've read elsewhere that you can receive SMS messages but not send them. So I guess I've got two questions . . .

1 Can you receive SMS messages using the "phone number" on the dongle?

2 If SMS either way doesn't work: why does Vodafone package the software on the dongle in the first place?

Many thanks.
39 REPLIES 39

Mark64
Hi Mark can you explain how this works without a sim card,surerly its the simcard that comes with the £15 on it not the dongle?The dongle does not have a phone number the simcard does.My head hurts now :blink: Confused...

Hi Richie

Does this help?

Vodafone

There's a micro SD slot on the side as you can see. But I haven't used it. I just plug the dongle into a USB port and off it goes . . .

Mark64
Hi Richie

Well spotted!

Once I slid out the tray next to the USB connector there is indeed a SIM card. Doh!

richie1913
Hi mark,bad news thats not where the sim card goes,you will find the sim card where the usb connector is,there is a little lip that you pull up and the sim card is in there,please tell me that is the case as it was doing my head in trying to work out how you had it working with no sim card

Mark64
Hi mark,bad news thats not where the sim card goes,you will find the sim card where the usb connector is,there is a little lip that you pull up and the sim card is in there,please tell me that is the case as it was doing my head in trying to work out how you had it working with no sim card

As you suggested, I took the cap off the dongle and slid out the little white tray. And the SIM is indeed in there!

richie1913
Thats ok then at least my head can stop hurting now,have a good sunday

Mark64
Thats ok then at least my head can stop hurting now,have a good sunday

Richie

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

So in theory I should be able to receive SMS messages but not send them?

. . . if I can get the software to work :wacko:

Have a good day!

richie1913
Yeah thats the theory recieve not send.

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member
Excellent- having established there's a SIM in there, just pop the SIM into a phone, and dial *#06# to get the number for the SIM. Whilst in the phone, you could also send an SMS to that phone, and check it is received.
Neil

Mark64
Excellent- having established there's a SIM in there, just pop the SIM into a phone, and dial *#06# to get the number for the SIM. Whilst in the phone, you could also send an SMS to that phone, and check it is received.

Thanks Neil

*#06# gave the IMEI of the SIM.

Does that number need to be in the settings for the SMS software (as in the second screenshot I posted) rather than the number displayed in the Mobile Connect Lite (which is blacked out in the first screenshot I posted) which looks like a standard mobile number?

Hope that makes sense!?

mrphoney
Thanks Neil

*#06# gave the IMEI of the SIM.

Does that number need to be in the settings for the SMS software (as in the second screenshot I posted) rather than the number displayed in the Mobile Connect Lite (which is blacked out in the first screenshot I posted) which looks like a standard mobile number?

Hope that makes sense!?

it is *#100# to get the phone number.
as said above *#06# gives the IMEI