Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor Quality Pictures On Internet With Mobile Broadband

Myrm
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Hi

I have noticed today that when I access the Internet via my VF MBB dongle, the quality of pictures on sites is very poor. Is this a default setting in the dongle to help save bandwidth and therefore cost to the customer? Can it be changed?

Thank you.
Myrm
----------
DERMY BUD
48 REPLIES 48

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Daz, as you recommend downloading the latest software, please could you advise how to disable client side optimisation in VMC version 9.3.6, so that images in web pages are displayed correctly? Hopefully, disabling this will also resolve the SSL connectivity issues which have been occurring recently.

Many thanks
Jim

Hi JimmyQ,

Disabling the client-side optimisation is fairly straight-forward. When installing, simply choose a "Custom" installation. The Setup Wizard will present you with a list of components and drop-down boxes where you can select if you want them to be included or not. Simply choose not to install the "Optimisation Tools".

If you have already installed the software, then you can still achieve this by choosing the "Modify/Remove" command in the Add/Remove Programs control panel, and then choosing to "Modify" the installation.

This will resolve most secure protocol problems or VPN issues - however, as Vodabusiness mentions, there is still network-level optimisation that takes place which will affect image quality - however, this is slowly being removed from our IP ranges, with a view to being removed completely for 3G connections.

Jon

eForum Team

vodabusiness
4: Newbie
Hi JimmyQ,

Disabling the client-side optimisation is fairly straight-forward. When installing, simply choose a "Custom" installation. The Setup Wizard will present you with a list of components and drop-down boxes where you can select if you want them to be included or not. Simply choose not to install the "Optimisation Tools".

If you have already installed the software, then you can still achieve this by choosing the "Modify/Remove" command in the Add/Remove Programs control panel, and then choosing to "Modify" the installation.

This will resolve most secure protocol problems or VPN issues - however, as Vodabusiness mentions, there is still network-level optimisation that takes place which will affect image quality - however, this is slowly being removed from our IP ranges, with a view to being removed completely for 3G connections.

Jon

eForum Team

There is no optimistaion client in VMCLite that comes packed on dongles or 9.3.6 full version so it cannot be removedas it is not there in the first instance. it also wouldnt cause grainy images as it is in the previous versions to overcome the grainy images caused by network level optimisation.

JimmyQ
Hi JimmyQ,

Jon

eForum Team

Daz,

Thanks for the reply. You'll notice that I specified VMC version 9.3.1. I am surprised that you do not know that 9.3.x versions of the software do not contain the option not to install the optimisation software via a custom install. This feature is only available in VMC 9.2.x.

Please could you confirm whether or not 9.3.x versions of VMC include optimisation software, as my experience suggests that client side optimisation is included and mandatory on 9.3.x. If this is the case, please could you advise how to disable / remove the client side optimisation.

I am fully aware that network layer optimisation may still be occurring, but let's tackle one problem at a time...

Thanks
Jim

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi JimmyQ,

I can happily confirm that 9.3.6 does have this feature! Please just download the 9.3.6 client, uninstall your original, restart, and install. When installing, please choose the custom install component. :)

Let us know how you get on with this! :)

Daz

eForum Team

JimmyQ
Hi JimmyQ,

I can happily confirm that 9.3.6 does have this feature! Please just download the 9.3.6 client, uninstall your original, restart, and install. When installing, please choose the custom install component. :)

Let us know how you get on with this! :)

Daz

eForum Team

Hi Daz,

Many thanks for the reply. Perhaps you would be so kind as to highlight where on the custom install screen the option not to install the optimisation software is?

This is the custom install screen from the version of VMC which you linked to in your post (Full_Setup-9.3.6.12095RP26.compressed.zip)

Thanks
Jim

vodabusiness
Hi Daz,

Many thanks for the reply. Perhaps you would be so kind as to highlight where on the custom install screen the option not to install the optimisation software is?

This is the custom install screen from the version of VMC which you linked to in your post (Full_Setup-9.3.6.12095RP26.compressed.zip)

Thanks
Jim

Is it not there??

I did say this.

JimmyQ
Is it not there??

I did say this.

Daz_Vodafone seems to think the option is there. We must be missing something. Hopefully Daz can point us in the roght direction with his next post.

:)

JimmyQ
Example using VMC 9.3.6 and latest firmware patch for K3760;

Original Image

Image downloaded via Vodafone 3G connection

Image quality is perfect using 9.2.1 but degraded using 9.3.6.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NC10
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-A4-06-39

PPP adapter Vodafone Mobile Connect:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.46.201.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.46.201.249
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.206.65.68
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

vodabusiness
Example using VMC 9.3.6 and latest firmware patch for K3760;

Original Image

Image downloaded via Vodafone 3G connection

Image quality is perfect using 9.2.1 but degraded using 9.3.6.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : NC10
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Ad
apter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-63-A4-06-39

PPP adapter Vodafone Mobile Connect:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.46.201.249
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.46.201.249
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.206.65.68
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.11.12.13
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.11.12.14
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

There is no optimisation client in 9.3.6. The network is in charge of the optimisation whereas 9.2.1 has the optimisatin client that by default is set to on and clears up your pages.
You may find that if you make several connections over and over through 9.3.6, because there is no software control of the optimisation, you are at the mercy of network optimisation. Sometimes you get optimised images and not others, reason, because some of the network is optimised and other parts are not.

JimmyQ
There is no optimisation client in 9.3.6. The network is in charge of the optimisation whereas 9.2.1 has the optimisatin client that by default is set to on and clears up your pages.
You may find that if you make several connections over and over through 9.3.6, because there is no software control of the optimisation, you are at the mercy of network optimisation. Sometimes you get optimised images and not others, reason, because some of the network is optimised and other parts are not.

Hi again,

Just to reiterate. So far *my experience* is that images are consistently good through 9.2.1, and consistently degraded through 9.3.6. This has been my experience 100% of the time.

Images have always been degraded using the newer client, and always good quality using the older client. Irrespective of network layer optimisation. I know you are trying to help, but but I would be grateful if you could stop posting contradictory statements when I am simply posting my experience.

No amount of your posts stating that 'client optimisation does not exist in 9.3.6', will alter the fact that all images have been optimised (degraded) when I've been running the 9.3.6 client. Perhaps vodafone tech surpport can shed some light on this?

Thanks again, Jim