Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problems Understanding Usage?

jdixon85
4: Newbie
I am having trouble understanding how usage is worked out. When checking my usage yesterday I had not gone over my limit according to my unbilled usage. Now Iv'e just checked again today and theres a charge thats appeared from no where (£12) for going over my limit on the 23rd of this month. Whats even stranger is that all internet activity after that date has been included in my allowance??? If I've gone over my limit on the 23rd then shouldn't I be charged for all internet use after that date until the start of the next month when my usage is reset? Can anyone explain how usage works?? I really wish the online billing/usage worked a lot better. My last bill was £98 witch I may have been able to avoid if the online usage worked better. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi jdixon85

This does sound odd. :huh:

It does seem strange that your usage was charged one day and not another.

The only way we can get to the bottom of this is to have a look at your account. The eForum is a technical help channel so we don't have access to your details.

I'm sending you an email - reply with your details and we'll get to the bottom of this for you. :)

If you'd like to see how much data certain activities will use on the internet have a look at our Usage Calculator.

Speak to you soon!

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

Randy
Hello!

I have recently received similar billing. The first time over the limit is charged 12.77 £ and there is some more charged after, like that:

Fri 27 Mar 20:14 Mobile browsing + data INTERNET 2.852MB 0.035 0.000 Included in price plan
Fri 27 Mar 20:16 Mobile browsing + data INTERNET 2.847MB 12.781 12.770 Partially included in price plan
Fri 27 Mar 20:19 Mobile browsing + data INTERNET 1.627MB 0.000 0.000
Fri 27 Mar 20:26 Mobile browsing + data INTERNET 2.848MB 0.000 0.000

So I understand that as I've spent some 27MB over my limit, I will pay only 12.77 this month and nothing more next, am I right?

jdixon85
I would like to reply to the email but the contract for my Vodafone broadband isn't in my name. It's actually in my mother's name. I don't dought that I did go over my usage allowance. Although I don't know how I managed to use twice my allowance last month?? So all I was asking for was how usage works and why I got charged one day but not anytime after in the same month when usage is supposed to reset at the start of every month. Also, My mother has forgot her security code you requested in the email you sent to her. Is there any way to retrieve it?

jdixon85
I would like to reply to the email but the contract for my Vodafone broadband isn't in my name. It's actually in my mother's name. I don't dought that I did go over my usage allowance. Although I don't know how I managed to use twice my allowance last month?? So all I was asking for was how usage works and why I got charged one day but not anytime after in the same month when usage is supposed to reset at the start of every month. Also, My mother has forgot her security code you requested in the email you sent to her. Is there any way to retrieve it?

On further inspection it seems the account is in my name. It's just the direct debit that's set up in my mother's name. I will now reply to your email.

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi guys,

I can see what's happened here!

Basically, if you go over your usage, we instantly charge £15 per GB. This charge is put on regardless of whether you're 1000MB over your limit or just 1k over - as soon as you go over, we charge £15 and don't charge you again unless you use another GB over that.

So what you're seeing here is a charge for £12.77, which after (normal) VAT will be £15. This covers you for up to a Gigabyte's usage over your agreed limit :)

I trust this clears things up?

Jon

eForum Team

jdixon85
Hi guys,

I can see what's happened here!

Basically, if you go over your usage, we instantly charge £15 per GB. This charge is put on regardless of whether you're 1000MB over your limit or just 1k over - as soon as you go over, we charge £15 and don't charge you again unless you use another GB over that.

So what you're seeing here is a charge for £12.77, which after (normal) VAT will be £15. This covers you for up to a Gigabyte's usage over your agreed limit :)

I trust this clears things up?

Jon

eForum Team

Yes that clears things up thanks. Although it would be a lot better if you only paid for how much you went over your limit. For example if I went 500MB over my limit I would only pay £7.50, you get the idea. Could someone please check if there are any problems with 3G at postcode CA7 2LW. I use an external antenna on the roof of my house to get 3G but only very recently I keep losing connection. The light on the modem will go off and start to blink but the dail up connection is still classed as connected in Vista. Thanks

Jell
Not applicable
Yes that clears things up thanks. Although it would be a lot better if you only paid for how much you went over your limit. For example if I went 500MB over my limit I would only pay £7.50, you get the idea. Could someone please check if there are any problems with 3G at postcode CA7 2LW. I use an external antenna on the roof of my house to get 3G but only very recently I keep losing connection. The light on the modem will go off and start to blink but the dail up connection is still classed as connected in Vista. Thanks

Other providers charge by the megabyte for excess usage, and it always works out much more expensive. For one network it works out at nearly £100 p/Gb. Trust me, this billing model rules...

Retired-MatC
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi jdixon85,

Glad to hear Jon's explanation did the trick and I take your point about having a different charging mechanism, although as pointed out by Jell it generally works out to be much cheaper this way for the majority of people :)

I guess that the thing to avoid is going very slightly over, so I'd recommend to check out our guide to monitoring your usage - it should help you to avoid going over unintentionally!

With regards to your postcode, I've had look and can't see any problems there at the moment. How long has this been going on for? Once you've been disconnected, are you able to re-connect successfully and carry on using the service for a while? Finally, do you know anyone in the area with a Vodafone mobile - if so could you check to see if they're getting 3G?

Let us know with regards to the above and we'll see what we can do to help from there - don't worry, we'll get to the bottom of it :)

MatC
eForum Team

jdixon85
I've sorted out my connection problem. Ever since plugging the modem into a powered USB2 hub my connection hasn't dropped once. Seems strange as it's been working ok for the last few month just being powered from the PC. Aslong as it works im happy. I do have friends that use vodafone mobile broadband in my area but they are stuck at GPRS speed. I had to use a £50 antenna and put it on the roof of my house to get 3G. If you look up my postcode im really lucky to get 3G at all. Thanks for your help.