Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Public IP Address

peterh42
2: Seeker

When I check my wired router it shows a WAN IP Address and then I use Whatsmyip and it shows the same address.

When I use my Vodafone 4G data sim and my TP-Link MR200, it shows a local IP Address.

Can anyone tell me how to get a Public IP Address please, as XBox live will not work correctly as it shows Strict NAT on system?

8 REPLIES 8

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Your SIM won't have an IP directly into the outside world. There will be multiple levels of NAT and PAT and probably other clever things before it leaves vodafone and gets a proper public IP.

You may need to play with port forwarding on the router (i've no idea which ports) to relax the NAT Type a bit, but it's a known 'feature' of playing over a mobile network, connections are likely to be limited.

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have unfortunately played with the port forwarding, DMZ and uPNP until I decided to use the forums and help desks.

I had a conversation with TP-Link help desk and they mentioned that the WAN IP Address I have showing on my router is a local one and not a public one.

I am a bit curious that there hasn't been more enquiries of this type due to Vodafone promoting the R216 with the following blurb :-

"Connect up to five devices at once, making it easy for you all to be online at the same time on your laptops, tablets, games consoles and other Wi-Fi devices like cameras. You can even use the R216 instead of home broadband."

Perhaps the other people have asked the right questions.

I will give the technical help desk at Vodafone a ring later to see what they say.

grolschuk

Hopefully they can help, sinnce as you say, the blurb says it should work.

However if the xbox system relies on a public IP on the router, i'm not sure you will be able to get that without paying for a bespoke service, and that wouldn't be cheap.

As far as the router, and any 'normal' device is concerned, the fact that the WAN connection has a 'local' address is nothing to worry about.

It's not local to your network, it is local to vodafone's network, which as far as your network cares, is 'outside'

This may be a bit simple compared to the actual technologies in use, but the principal is there

Fixed Broadband setup

Xbox --- your network (internal) --- router --- internet (public)

Mobile Broadband

Xbox --- your network (internal) --- router --- vodafone network a --- router --- vodafone network b --- router --- vodafone network x --- router --- internet (public)

Expensive Mobile Broadband solution (not even sure if this is available)

Xbox --- your network (internal) --- router --- special vodaone network (public IP) --- router --- internet

So it seems the xbox can't handle the multiple vodafone address changes very well as it traverses their intermediate network :Sad_face:

I'll be interested to see what the response from technical is, if you wouldn't mind posting afterwards :Smiling:

peterh42
Sure I will post the results when I get them

Well spoke to Vodafone technical support and they said that they don't offer public ip addresses.

So their wifi mobile sims are not suitable for use with game consoles, even though their blurb says they are.

The attraction of the game consoles is the social use and if you cannot, for example find someone to play against on Fifa 16 because the internet service you have has a strict NAT, it is useless.

I did suggest to the technical support that they need to remove this from the adverts.

Well looks like I may try Three as they seem to offer public ip addresses.

Good news.  Got a Three sim and set the APN up to point at the three servers.

Now I have a public IP Address.

So anyone who wants to use the Xbox live fully instead of the crippled version Vodafone offer, go to Three.

grolschuk

Good to know the limitations and a solution on how to get fully connected :Smiling:

Happy gaming - just keep an eye on how much data you are using to start with :Laughing_Face:

Hi,

just had the same issue myself... still after over a year vodafone won’t allow a public IP...

So I too have gone to 3