Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Ras Error Code 635

g_andy
Not applicable
Hello

Yesterday we got a K3760 for use on my mother-in-law's laptop. Everything installed perfectly and despite a poor to good signal everything is well... except after the laptop has been shutdown and rebooted the dongle and software have problems communicating with each other with the 635 error code.

After some messing, I managed to get the dongle working again but following another shutdown and restart pressented me with another 635 error.

This will just be far too much for the intended user to have to go through, each time, to get the connected.

Now the question. We signed up for a 12 month contract, as said only yesterday. The device is totally unsuitable. Will we be able to return the dongle and cancel the contract?

Sad for this to be working out this way, was really looking forward to even getting a small DELL pc with a dongle for my own use at a later date.

Andy
4 REPLIES 4

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi g_andy,

It's a shame to hear this :(

If you just got the modem the other day you can indeed return it, but perhaps if you can post some technical info about this then maybe we can help! The problem will not lie in the modem, but how your computer is misinterpreting the modem through some sort of clash.

Can you try the following?

- Download the latest Vodafone Mobile Connect firmware?

- When plugged in, what colour does the modem light flicker, and does it flash in single or double 'bursts'?

- Have you tried booting with the modem already plugged in?

- Is the modem detected by the VMC (as in it displays a network to connect to, but fails to connect)?

- Is there an error message? If so, what does it say exactly?

- Can you try another USB port?

Let us know how you get on, and any additional info will help us help you better!

Daz

eForum Team

g_andy
Not applicable
Sorry for delay in replying, here is the update.

I followed the guide to fix the 635 error and that did cure the problem regarding the dongle working after a reboot.

Sadly, it is the connect speed that really is a problem now. I am in the Clifton area of York, which on the coverage area is shown completely red, indicating what I would assume to be a good signal area!?

Anyway, I got the odd 3G signal, with the even rarer 3G+ signal but it was so poor that the connection speed was slower than dial-up. Mostly I only get a GPRS signal, usually good to very good but again the speed is lucky to go above 4.0 kbps which makes it very frustrating waiting for pages to load. Even more so for my mother-in-law, I really want her first experience of using the internet to be a little bit more fun than waiting for pages to load.

I did use the network search option in the VCM and it brought back strong showings for 3G in the area by other operators but sadly only GPRS came back on the result for Vodafone. On the rare occasion when 3G showed up, it normally failed to connect and gave another RAS error code, 680.

The plan, today, is to return it to the Vodafone shop and hopefully return the dongle and cancel the contract under the 14 day cooling off period. Hopefully, this will go well.

Thank you for your support.
Andy

KD
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi Andy

I'm glad the guide got you connected. :) I am disappointed that the speeds are not ideal.

Is the connection speed the same everywhere you use it?

I have checked the postcode you supplied in your postcode and your 3G serivce in that area is strong and not currently experiencing any issues. Is this the right postcode? If not could you please add the right one to the thread and I'll check that for you.

When you are experiencing the slower speeds if you disconnect and reconnect the modem does it improve the speed? You may need to try this a few times.

If you have a mobile phone with us do you get 3G signal on that in the same area? If so try your modem SIM in your phone - does that pick up 3G signal in the phone? If it does then the modem is faulty and within your first 14 days this can be swapped in store. If it is the same in the phone but you were getting 3G with your phone SIM then it's worth having the SIM swapped and you can have this done through any of the methods in the Contact Us page.

I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this for you so that your mother-in-law will have a great internet experience.

B-)

Kirsty
eForum Team

hitty
4: Newbie
I think you will all find downloading the latest VMC will resolve both the speed and driver issue as shown here:
http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25736

The whole problem in this scenario is Windows and VMC using the wrong drivers, hence causing Error 635.
Even when the error doesnt occur, the speed is as slow as 33kbps on a 3G connection.

Im sure somewhere in this forum is a guide on fixing the driver problem, if not, here it is:

Error 635 Troubleshooting for the K3760
Steps: 1. Confirm modem component is present in Manage Devices:

• In the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software go to Manage Devices. If the “Globetrotter GI41x - Modem Interface” is present proceed to step 2
  • If the “Globetrotter GI41x - Modem Interface” is not visible under Manage Devices, leave VMC open and go to Windows Device Manager
  • Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controller heading, right click on the GI41x and select uninstall
  • Once the component has been removed from Device Manager go back to Vodafone Mobile Connect Software and Manage Devices
  • Highlight any/all “Globetrotter GI41x” components and select remove
  • Shut down VMC using File and Exit
  • Return to Windows Device Manager and go to Action and select Scan for Hardware Changes to reload the device components
  • Relaunch Vodafone Mobile Connect and go to Manage Devices
  • Confirm the GI41x Modem interface is now present
2. Set the Modem as the Default Interface

• In the Vodafone Mobile Connect Software go to Manage Devices and ensure the “Globetrotter GI41x - Modem Interface” is ticked as Default
  • Click Apply and OK to return to the main screen
3. Retest Connection
If issue reoccurs due to device being plugged into different USB port do the following:

• Shut down Vodafone Mobile Connect using File and Exit
  • Go to Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options and select the Modem tab
  • Check for multiple references to the “Globetrotter GI41x – Modem Interface”
  • If more than one reference then highlight each entry and select Remove
  • Once all entries to the device have been cleared click Add, Next and Finish to reset the entry under Phone and Modem Options
  • Relaunch Vodafone Mobile Connect and retest
  • Repeat steps for any additional USB port as required

All credit to a Mr Dixon!