cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Registering A Vodafone Payg Sim Without A Phone?

johnbulllas
Not applicable
I have a 3G PAYG SIM and Novatel MC930D but no unlocked handset (or VODAC handset) to call 17298 on.......

Q1 how can I register my PAYG SIM?

Am I correct in thinking that

• APN: internet (or pp.vodafone.co.uk if you’re using prepay)
  • Username: web
  • Password: web
Q2 Will these settings get me my 50p/day for 25MB internet?

Any other deals with PAYG internet I should know about?

I already have an Orange PAYG SIM for this network free Novatel MC930D and wanted an alternative SIM for internet ( Orange charge £1/day £5/week for unlimited access ???

Q3 anyone any idea HOW much is unlimited on Orange?)
7 REPLIES 7

Kop1te
4: Newbie
things to worry about; unless the payg sim card card has been used for a call it is dormant. So you will need to top it up-stick in a handset that accepts it and make a call. Register at this website.To get the mobile number dial *#100* whilst it is in the handset; the apn for a payt data sim is pp.internet.
There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.
Bertrand Russell British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Dr John C Bullas and welcome to the eForum :)

Q1 You can register your Pay As You Talk SIM by calling 08700700191 to get in contact with our customer service teams.

Q2 The Settings you will need are

Voice SIM = pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username = wap
Password = wap

Data SIM = pp.internet
Username = web
Password = web

(You can find out whether you are using a Data SIM or a Voice SIM by attempting to make a call from it. If you can call, then you are using a Voice SIM, if not, you are using a Data SIM)

Q3 I'm afraid I'm not sure what Orange's limit is.

Let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be more than happy to help

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

johnbulllas
Not applicable
I registered it on a mates handset and sent an SMS via my novatel usb mobile internet dodad to discover the phone number to then register it on the online system

The Settings you will need are

Voice SIM = pp.vodafone.co.uk
Username = wap
Password = wap

Data SIM = pp.internet
Username = web
Password = web

Many Thanks

QUESTION what happens if you set a voice SIM to the Data SIM settings? will this negate the 50p/day offer? will the data transfer be better or worse? I HAVE A VOICE SIM since I don't think VODAC do 'pay as you byte' for mobile internet or do you?

QUESTION: any way to check how your PAYG credit is being used up and how much is spent on data as I claim back what i use for work related activities

NB: BIG BIG Congratulations to VODAC for actually having staff that answer emails, in the last 4 years I have NEVER had an email answered by a ORANGE member of staff that was posted via the ORANGE website, their handling of email equiries sucks in a big bad way. worse than their phone support but not that much worse.....

Thanks again

Dr B
Southampton UK

johnbulllas
Not applicable
'Wayne_Vodafone' - can't contact you direct so this is really to say the embedded HTML/Code in your sigfile does not render - the code is being displayed , I tried to set up a sig file and had the same problems ( wanted to display a avatar as you can't import then in your profile settings )

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Dr B,

If you set a voice SIM to the Data SIM settings there is a chance this won’t work fully however on the basis that it does, the SIM is still a voice SIM and so the charges would remain at 50p as normal. Also, the data transfer would not be any different.

Regarding the Pay As You Go Credit, there isn’t a way to check this or provide proof of use other than contacting our Data Protection Manager to request this information. Click here for more information and how to apply.

Wayne is aware that his signature isn’t displayed correctly and is currently in the process of getting this resolved. :)

All the best,

Jenny
eForum Team

johnbulllas
Not applicable
Also, the data transfer would not be any different.

So the voice SIM in a 3G datacard (or Novatel MC930D USB dongle) would run as fast as if it had a data SIM in it? excellent! ..... I presume 3g+ offers no transfer speed benefits over 3G?

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi Dr

Indeed you are correct, both voice and data sims are identical and run in the same data channels, it is only the tarriff that differs and the fact that data sims are not voice enabled.

3G+ (or H) is HSDP or 3.5G, yes this would be faster that 3G, if you're getting this then that's always a good thing, :)

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team