Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sim Card In Third Party Modem

JonnieR
Not applicable
Hi,

I have purchased a pay as you go dongle for use in industrial automation, but I have a separate router with sim card support(Westermo MR250), so I am only using the sim card.

I can attach to the APN using pp.internet, but for some reason the PPP connection fails during negotiation and wont assign an IP. I am using web and web as the username and password.

I have attached screen grabs of the event log and my PPP settings. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon.
10 REPLIES 10

peterpp_bg
4: Newbie
Have you tied with APN "internet", login and password "Web"?

JonnieR
Not applicable
Have you tied with APN "internet", login and password "Web"?

That was what I originally had but from this forum I read posts that used pp.internet and pp.vodafone.co.uk. Whilst trying to get an answer in my hotel room I am willing to try anything again tomorrow in he hope that it works.

Jon

Retired-Daz_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hey JonnieR,

Shame to hear you're having these troubles :(

If you're using our Pay As You Go mobile broadband, you'll need to set the APN (or, Access Point Name) to pp.internet, with web as username and password! This should do the trick ;)

Let us know how you get on - and remember to check your firewall settings in case these are causing a problem!

Daz

eForum Team

peterpp_bg
4: Newbie
That was what I originally had but from this forum I read posts that used pp.internet and pp.vodafone.co.uk. Whilst trying to get an answer in my hotel room I am willing to try anything again tomorrow in he hope that it works.

Jon

JonnieR, one more thing, I noticed on your printscreens: The number you dial is *98*1#. I connect through *99#
Also you have "Request remote PAP authentication:", put "no" to it. CHAP is the one you need.

Jebelious
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
APN= PP.INTERNET not PP.INTERNET.CO.UK
DIal number should be : *99#

If i have helped please feel free to click on the Thumbs Up below

r1666a
Not applicable

Im having the same problems. Im actually using nokia pc suite with the payg mobile broadband £15/gb sim in my nokia phones.

I have tried pp.internet, pp.intenet.co.uk, pp.vodafone.co.uk with both wap and web as passwords and with the ....at+cgdcont=1,"ip","pp.vodafone.co.uk" commands.

For some reason, the sim doesnt like to work in anything apart from the usb dongle it came with!

Any help appreciated.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi r1666a,

In all honestly I’m not sure what to say here so I’m going to ask one of my more technical colleagues to take a look at this tomorrow.
Don’t worry, I’m sure they’ll get this sorted for you! :)

All the best,

Jenny
eForum Team

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks Jebelious, I noticed that mistake myself!

The APN is PP.INTERNET not PP.INTERNET.CO.UK

I've edited the incorrect information in Daz's post to reflect the correct details.

As for why this isn't working, I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss myself.

So long as the APN details are correct in both the initialisation string and the router software, things should be kicking into action.

I'm open to other suggestions :blink:

Jon

eForum Team

r1666a
Not applicable
Thanks Jebelious, I noticed that mistake myself!

The APN is PP.INTERNET not PP.INTERNET.CO.UK

I've edited the incorrect information in Daz's post to reflect the correct details.

As for why this isn't working, I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss myself.

So long as the APN details are correct in both the initialisation string and the router software, things should be kicking into action.

I'm open to other suggestions :blink:

Jon

eForum Team

Ok... thanks guys. I have finally worked it out. unfortunately I missed one combination in the above settings that finally did work. This is how i figured it out for anyone that may be in the same problem. (yes I must admit this great forum got me most of the way though)

> I purchased a USB dongle pay as you surf kit from a vodafone shop (£15/GB)
> Installed software. Checked the modem/sim card works (which it did)
>in the software, go to settings, manage connections, (you will only see one setting in the drop down box called vodafone)
> Click View (Again you see only 'Vodafone uk')
>Click 'NEW' then click the tab called APN. This should show you the settings for your modem sim card to connect to the internet.
> In my case these were
APN : pp.internet
Username : web
Password : web

> Now remove the simcard from the usb dongle and install in a bluetooth enabled phone. Connect the phone to the PC using your choice of software or establish a dial-up connection via bluetooth modem.
(I Used a nokia mobile and used Nokia PC suite & one touch connection within the pc suite)
> enter the settings that you got from the 'vodafone mobile connect' software in the APN/username and password boxes)

You should now have a bluetooth connected wireless modem (You can keep the USB dongle for emergencies etc)

I am typing this via my PAYG sim in a nokia e51 just to prove)

Thanks.