Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

@Colleen .Yes and no. I have been credited the remainder of the £182 which I have been disputing so that has been sorted. The data cap hasn't been sorted yet. The advisor last night contacted the tech people who we thought had applied the uk data cap. However after logging into My Vodafone there it seems the data bar has been added (blocks all data) and the Uk data cap button is still unchecked. Still unsure whether it is active or not. Perhaps you could check into this and pm me ?

@Elaines35 glag you have resolved your issue.

Re the data cap I have tried 3 times to set it over the last 2 days. Each time it says I'll get a text to confirm it but I've had nothing. Mistakenly set the data bar and that worked fine!

I'd like to set it as I don't want another bunch of unexplained data to appear on my usage and end up ahving to go through what you have.

@Coleen if you could raise this as an issue to be looked into that would be great

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Thats fantastic news @Elaines35 I'm glad you've got your money back.

It sounds like there is indeed an issue with the data cap, hopefully @Colleen and the team will be able to get this investigated and ultimately fixed 😊

Elaines35
I contacted the online chat last night after posting to check if the UK data cap was active which they told me it wasn't. So they applied it (again) but as of yet it's still not on. The man from the UK call centre the previous night who sorted the refund told me he talked to the tech people who were able to over ride the system. It's either not on or its on but not showing on my Vodafone. I would rather be clear about it before using the sim again or failing that I may cancel completely as I'm running out of patience

Elaines35
It gets better by the day!!!!!I'm led to believe The cap should be available for the data sim. It just doesn't work. It's becoming clear either Vodafone are struggling to resolve the issue in the background or just don't care. The lack of feedback on this forum from the experts says a lot.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Elaines35 I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

@TomW500 Please also check your private message with details on how to get in touch.

Vodafone Tech Team - I'd aprpeciate if someone could get in touch to tell me what the situation is with the data cap and how this can be resolved as I would like to be able to set it.

From both Elaine 35 and TomW500 posts it seems fruitless to spend hours on the phone to support for no resolution

Alex - already did that EFT bit last week so not much point repeating it again. Especialy when your colleague emailed last night to say there was nowt you could do.

Jeff - you are spot on there. Hours wasted on the phone / online chat (that very rarely actualy works) / emails and even a good old-fashioned letter over the past 10 days.

That letter actualy did result in a call from the "directors office" late yesterday with an offer of 50% refund OR they keep the £500 and let us walk away from the contract. If we accept either option we lose the right to make a complaint to try to recover the rest.

Elaines35
I have done the EFT thing and will update when I get a responce

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jeffdawson78 Please check the private message I've sent you.