Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pipcoo - You can find information on our data caps online.

These can be turned on and off using the My Vodafone app.

The data cap can`t be turned on through the app, you have to contact CS via phone or web chat,it should be much simpler to do and it should be turned on by default to avoid being (over) charged for extra data.

I'm currently away in Norway and I've started to experience this strange data usage. Here is a screenshot

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
@PicassoPigeon Your recent post hasn't appeared - have you verified your
email address for your sign-up to the community?

I'm currently experiencing unusual data usage while away in Norway. All around the 900mb size. 

Please could someone help, when I used live chat I was basically told it was my fault and I should change my password on my router. This usage has continued even though my router was powered off! I've lost over 5gb because of this

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@PicassoPigeon do you have the data cap enabled on your account?

If you switch this on you shouldn't see any additional data charges, of course, if you have the cap enabled and charges do occur you then have the ability to dispute them.

Live Chat should be able to switch this on for you and make sure you keep the chat transcript as proof you've asked for it to be enabled.

More info: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Data-capping/9...

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@PicassoPigeon -  We'll need to take a closer look at your account. 

Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message. 

Once you've done this, please post back and let us know the reference number from the auto reply email (it looks like #123456).

Re: WRT165 [#16629421]

Good grief. What a waste of time live chat are! Promises one thing, don't deliver. Then tell me that chat can't be found!

Me: 990.03mb usage. A number of others in the Vodafone community have also posted about this
Corey: 

i am looking into this for you please allow me a few moments 

Me: And that same,or almost the same data usage keeps coming up
Corey: 

you have 35GB left on the current months usage

Me: Yes. I know. But some of the data used has not been used by me. Facebook on my mobile will not be using nearly 1gb of data each day when no videos are being played. It doesn't use that much data when I connect to just mobile data and turn off WiFi.
Me: So will we be doing the 30 day notice or is there some other agreement? Can you restart my data allowance
Corey: 

the usage may be because of downloading or updating the apps

Corey: 

or streaming of videos 

Me: Like I've said, nobody is willing to do anything about the strange usage even though many others have experienced this issue
Me: I've not been streaming video or music
Me: Al autoplayvideo is turned off
Corey: 

i can offer the 50GB on new data sim deal , the allowance will start tomorrow for £18 per month 

Me: I'm already on a 30 day contract. I'm not willing to pay more
Corey: 

we will credit the bill you have already paid , so the first bill will be cancelled out by the credit 

Me: And this will still be 30day contract?
Corey: 

12 month data sim you have a 30 day cooling off window 

That's the chat transcript that I had emailed to myself, and they say there's no record of this! 
Totally disappointed by this poor service.
Live chat are going to put 2gb of extra data allowance for no charge. That's the best they can do, even though Corey had said something completely different.

Annie_N

@PicassoPigeon

I can see that you got a reference number, following your response to Gemma's PM. She or one of her colleagues will be having a look at your account properly, to see what is going on here, as these sudden usages of 900+MB really don't seem to make much sense. I imagine that someone will be in contact with you soon, to complete any necessary DPA formalities for accessing your account - so don't despair yet!