Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

@Annie_N wrote:

@PicassoPigeon

I can see that you got a reference number, following your response to Gemma's PM. She or one of her colleagues will be having a look at your account properly, to see what is going on here, as these sudden usages of 900+MB really don't seem to make much sense. I imagine that someone will be in contact with you soon, to complete any necessary DPA formalities for accessing your account - so don't despair yet!

Live chat said yesterday they would put an extra 2gb of data in my account. This morning I check the itemised usage and find more of the 990.03mb data usage 😡😤😠 Can't see any extra 2gb given, but they've certainly taken it!

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@PicassoPigeon

2GB isn't going to go all that far, is it?

I haven't a clue what the problem is, although clearly there is some sort of a problem, which has been going on since the beginning of the year. A couple of us have been raising concerns about it, but apparently there is no evidence of a problem. 

Are you able to help by assembling evidence from your experience? I'd have thought that your original screenshot was pretty powerful in itself! You also mentioned that your device was powered off for some of the time. Do you get to see precise timestamps for the usage, and are you able to relate it to the times when your device is powered on or off? Or can you establish some such data going forward?

Sorry to ask you for this information. I realise that you have the device in order to use it rather than conduct experiments with it, but it would be good to get this problem fixed, and the only way I can see to do so is establish what is going wrong on some affected accounts.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

@PicassoPigeon live chat are quite frankly going to be useless in this case, your issue isn't one that appears on their script so you're not going to get much help there.  As @Annie_N suggest the eForum team will be looking into your account, they should be able to conduct a more in dept investigation than live chat. With any luck they will be in touch soon!

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@PicassoPigeon I can see we've been in touch via email - please respond to our latest email if you'd like to discuss this with our team further. 

The dreaded 900 MB usage has started showing on my account.

07 Aug 17 - 13:08Internet 990.03 MB£0.00
07 Aug 17 - 12:23Internet 957.35 MB
07 Aug 17 - 13:24Internet 990.03 MB£0.00
07 Aug 17 - 13:14Internet 958.83 MB£0.00

08 Aug 17 - 09:11Internet 978.94 MB£0.00

Annie_N

@pipcoo Just to get the question out of the way, presumably you weren't doing a major update or streaming a movie during your lunch-hour?

Hi Annie

No to both questions, I thought this problem had been solved ? To be fair it`s the first time it`s happened to me.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@pipcoo So we're able to investigate into this, please contact us using the instructions in the private message I've sent. 

I can't understand why VF will not get a full investigation by a very experienced technician to look thoroughly at this. It's ludicrous to ask anyone to contact the help line - they will be of no use in this matter. PLease please VF will someone get it into their heads that this is a serious conflict, error, or whatever on VF's part. It's 6 months ++ now. We all want it resolved - will anyone do anything and get rid of this problem??  It's no good just sorting out problems as they arise on an individual basis with extra allowancwe etc. - get it fixed now!  It makes VF look ridiculous!! - Regards 

Hi Alex, I got the PM but there is no link showing to reach the form.