Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

jeffdawson78
4: Newbie

Hi,

I've very recently - 9 days ago - signed up to Vodafone mobile broadband 50GB plan using there mifi mobile router for use at home on my boat with our laptops.

As I have not used this before I have been keen to see how the speeds compare to my old Plusnet broadband and keep an eye on data usage.

I was therefore very surprised to see my account saying I had used 13GB of data over 2 nights! I checked the usage breakdown and saw a number of very strange readings of the same amount at small intervals:

16 Jan 2107
18:34  990.03 MB
19:33 990.03 MB
21:07 967.97 MB
21:25 990.03 MB
21:41 967.97 MB
21:57 765.02 MB
22:10 967.97 MB
22:30 199.16 MB

17 Jan 2017
07:09 11.49 MB
20.21 990.03 MB
20:35 967.97 MB
20:49 990.03 MB
21:05 967.97 MB
21:21 495.01 MB
21;28 967.97 MB
21:47 990.03 MB

22:05 234.86 MB 

On the 16 I did download a couple of shows from iplayer (approx 1.5GB) but nothing to use anywhere near that much data. 

I called the supprot line this morning but whilst courteous weren't able to do anything other than suggest visiting a store.

Has anyone experienced similar issues and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for any advice!

349 REPLIES 349

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'd like to take a closer look into your usage for you @rkjones316.

Please submit your information to us by following the details I've provided in the private message I've sent and a member of our team will be in touch.

Ni Nathasha, in the private message you sent me, the "click here" text does not have a hyperlink....

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

Sometimes you have to open the PM, rather than just view it in your list of PMs, in order to see the link?

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Did you manage to access the private message @rkjones316? Let us know; if not we'll be more than happy to pop you another one over 😊

Hi @rkjones316 or @TJ, can I ask if this was resolved?

I am seeing the same behaviour with my device. My data rolled over on the 20th (3 days ago as I write this) and we have supposedly used over 14GB since then.

ToniCa
13: Advanced Member

@neilly wrote:

@hi @rkjones316 or @TJ, can I ask if this was resolved?

The individual cases are presumably resolved to the satisfaction of the complainers, but there is no evidence that the actual problem is fixed, since others, such as yourself, continue to experience it.

If you hold on here, one of the Vodafone forum team will pick up your case. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

So we can take a look into your data query @neilly, please get in touch by following the instructions in the private message I've sent.

Thanks, done!

@Mark wrote:

So we can take a look into your data query @neilly, please get in touch by following the instructions in the private message I've sent.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks @neilly - I can see we've received your latest email under reference #18745953 and will be in touch to assist you further :Smiling:

I bought a 50GB package with video pass on 26th May.

That same day, with little deliberate use, 4GB was reported as being used. Regular, massive, unexplained data usage is regularly seen on my account. For example, at 07:33 one morning, exactly 1000.00MB was used. Then at 7:41 (8 minutes later) another 1000.00MB data was used.

Large, round number data usage is a regular occurrence, often either 500.00MB or 1000.00MB. This also happens at night, or when people are not at home.

I have now used almost 20GB in 11 days, of which I can probably explain 2GB.

I work in technology and am fully aware that devices (i.e. a phone or Windows) will do non-user initiated downloads. Because of this, I have switched most devices off, or set them to flight mode at night, and installed data tracking software, to try to identify where there might be an issue my side, but no luck so far. Yesterday at 15:15 another exactly 1000.00MB was used, despite no-one being home.

I have spoken to the call centre at length and got precisely nowhere. They offered no solution, but told me everything was working well. They could not refund any data, or give a way to extend the data.

The data cap is useless as it can only be used if I remove the video pass, which would use my data even quicker, so would be self defeating. The video pass seems to be generally working but I do suspect that it is not working for the iPhone YouTube app (though not proven).

What really galls me, is that once you go over the allocated data amount, you get hit by ridiculous usage cost - fines basically. I currently pay 60p per GB, and this rises to £26 per GB.

Vodafone has put in technology to make these extraordinary charges, yet if I have a 'video pass' cannot limit my account, so that I will not pay fines. This is disgusting.

It is particularly bad given that I have no faith in the data usage system, and that it might be software that mandatorily chooses to make a download (doing an update), not a human.