main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Mobile Broadband

Strange excessive data use on mobile broadband

1: Seeker

7 years as a Vodafone customer spending circa £80-£100 per month fairly consistently.  Then I moved home and was told I couldn't get broadband so asked Vodafone if they could recommend a solution.  They recommended a mobile dongle on a 50GB contract at a cost of £30/ month.   6 weeks later my first bill rolls in - £1650!   They claim I used 105GB.  No phone calls or text messages from Vodafone to warn me... just slam!  Warning to everyone out there, this is clearly a massive scam for Vodafone.  Be warned. 

View more options
17: Community Champion

@Paraglider69 You'll have seen from this thread that some of the customers affected had experienced peaks of usage that fell somewhere in the range from unlikely to impossible, sometimes at times when their equipment was almost certainly off. Looking at either your online account or the "dashboard" for your dongle, are you seeing anything of this sort?

View more options

@Paraglider69 So we can take a closer look into this, I've sent you a private message with details to contact our team directly. Once we receive your details, we'll be able to investigate further.

View more options
4: Newbie
View more options

@pipcoo - You can find information on our data caps online.

These can be turned on and off using the My Vodafone app.

View more options

The data cap can`t be turned on through the app, you have to contact CS via phone or web chat,it should be much simpler to do and it should be turned on by default to avoid being (over) charged for extra data.

View more options
3: Seeker

I'm currently away in Norway and I've started to experience this strange data usage. Here is a screenshot

View more options
@PicassoPigeon Your recent post hasn't appeared - have you verified your
email address for your sign-up to the community?
View more options

I'm currently experiencing unusual data usage while away in Norway. All around the 900mb size. 

Please could someone help, when I used live chat I was basically told it was my fault and I should change my password on my router. This usage has continued even though my router was powered off! I've lost over 5gb because of this

View more options

@PicassoPigeon do you have the data cap enabled on your account?

If you switch this on you shouldn't see any additional data charges, of course, if you have the cap enabled and charges do occur you then have the ability to dispute them.

Live Chat should be able to switch this on for you and make sure you keep the chat transcript as proof you've asked for it to be enabled.

More info: https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Account-bill-and-top-up/My-allowance-usage-and-charges/Data-capping/9...

View more options

@PicassoPigeon -  We'll need to take a closer look at your account. 

Please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message. 

Once you've done this, please post back and let us know the reference number from the auto reply email (it looks like #123456).

View more options

Re: WRT165 [#16629421]

View more options

Good grief. What a waste of time live chat are! Promises one thing, don't deliver. Then tell me that chat can't be found!

Me: 990.03mb usage. A number of others in the Vodafone community have also posted about this
Corey: 

i am looking into this for you please allow me a few moments 

Me: And that same,or almost the same data usage keeps coming up
Corey: 

you have 35GB left on the current months usage

Me: Yes. I know. But some of the data used has not been used by me. Facebook on my mobile will not be using nearly 1gb of data each day when no videos are being played. It doesn't use that much data when I connect to just mobile data and turn off WiFi.
Me: So will we be doing the 30 day notice or is there some other agreement? Can you restart my data allowance
Corey: 

the usage may be because of downloading or updating the apps

Corey: 

or streaming of videos 

Me: Like I've said, nobody is willing to do anything about the strange usage even though many others have experienced this issue
Me: I've not been streaming video or music
Me: Al autoplayvideo is turned off
Corey: 

i can offer the 50GB on new data sim deal , the allowance will start tomorrow for £18 per month 

Me: I'm already on a 30 day contract. I'm not willing to pay more
Corey: 

we will credit the bill you have already paid , so the first bill will be cancelled out by the credit 

Me: And this will still be 30day contract?
Corey: 

12 month data sim you have a 30 day cooling off window 

That's the chat transcript that I had emailed to myself, and they say there's no record of this! 
Totally disappointed by this poor service.
Live chat are going to put 2gb of extra data allowance for no charge. That's the best they can do, even though Corey had said something completely different.

View more options

@PicassoPigeon

I can see that you got a reference number, following your response to Gemma's PM. She or one of her colleagues will be having a look at your account properly, to see what is going on here, as these sudden usages of 900+MB really don't seem to make much sense. I imagine that someone will be in contact with you soon, to complete any necessary DPA formalities for accessing your account - so don't despair yet!

View more options

Annie_N wrote:

@PicassoPigeon

I can see that you got a reference number, following your response to Gemma's PM. She or one of her colleagues will be having a look at your account properly, to see what is going on here, as these sudden usages of 900+MB really don't seem to make much sense. I imagine that someone will be in contact with you soon, to complete any necessary DPA formalities for accessing your account - so don't despair yet!

Live chat said yesterday they would put an extra 2gb of data in my account. This morning I check the itemised usage and find more of the 990.03mb data usage 😡😤😠 Can't see any extra 2gb given, but they've certainly taken it!

View more options

@PicassoPigeon

2GB isn't going to go all that far, is it?

I haven't a clue what the problem is, although clearly there is some sort of a problem, which has been going on since the beginning of the year. A couple of us have been raising concerns about it, but apparently there is no evidence of a problem. 

Are you able to help by assembling evidence from your experience? I'd have thought that your original screenshot was pretty powerful in itself! You also mentioned that your device was powered off for some of the time. Do you get to see precise timestamps for the usage, and are you able to relate it to the times when your device is powered on or off? Or can you establish some such data going forward?

Sorry to ask you for this information. I realise that you have the device in order to use it rather than conduct experiments with it, but it would be good to get this problem fixed, and the only way I can see to do so is establish what is going wrong on some affected accounts.

View more options

@PicassoPigeon live chat are quite frankly going to be useless in this case, your issue isn't one that appears on their script so you're not going to get much help there.  As @Annie_N suggest the eForum team will be looking into your account, they should be able to conduct a more in dept investigation than live chat. With any luck they will be in touch soon!

View more options
Administrator

@PicassoPigeon I can see we've been in touch via email - please respond to our latest email if you'd like to discuss this with our team further. 

View more options

The dreaded 900 MB usage has started showing on my account.

07 Aug 17 - 13:08Internet 990.03 MB£0.00
07 Aug 17 - 12:23Internet 957.35 MB
07 Aug 17 - 13:24Internet 990.03 MB£0.00
07 Aug 17 - 13:14Internet 958.83 MB£0.00

08 Aug 17 - 09:11Internet 978.94 MB£0.00

View more options

@pipcoo Just to get the question out of the way, presumably you weren't doing a major update or streaming a movie during your lunch-hour?

View more options